Old 14-04-2005, 08:24 AM
Chris

Default Why do plant pots have a wide bit at the top?

Why do plant pots have a wide bit at the top?
Why not just a straight taper from the bottom to the top?
--
Chris
Old 14-04-2005, 08:35 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ],
Chris ] writes:

| Why do plant pots have a wide bit at the top?

Probably to make them easier to pick up using machinery.

| Why not just a straight taper from the bottom to the top?

Older ones often did. I have some like that.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 14-04-2005, 03:45 PM
Charlie Pridham

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article ],
Chris ] writes:

| Why do plant pots have a wide bit at the top?

Probably to make them easier to pick up using machinery.

| Why not just a straight taper from the bottom to the top?

Older ones often did. I have some like that.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

I suspect the reasons are lost in the mists of time but I have always
assumed that it was to stop them Jamming when stacked one inside another,
but an old gardener once told me it was to indicate a fill line for the not
so bright garden boys he had to try and train!

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 14-04-2005, 08:35 AM
Mike

Why do plant pots have a wide bit at the top?
Why not just a straight taper from the bottom to the top?
--
Chris

Why do we press harder on a remote control when we know the batteries
are flat?

Why do banks charge a fee on "insufficient funds" when they know there
is not enough?

Why does someone believe you when you say there are four billion stars,
but check when you say the paint is wet?

Why doesn't glue stick to the bottle?

Why do they use sterilised needles for death by lethal injection?

Why doesn't Tarzan have a beard?

Why does Superman stop bullets with his chest, but ducks when you throw
a revolver at him?

Why do Kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

Whose idea was it to put an "S" in the word "lisp"?

What is the speed of darkness?

Are there specially reserved parking spaces for "normal" people at the
Special Olympics?

If you send someone 'Styrofoam', how do you pack it?

If the temperature is zero outside today and it's going to be twice as
cold tomorrow, how cold will it be?

If people evolved from apes, why are there still apes?

If it's true that we are here to help others, what are the others doing
here?

Do married people live longer than single ones or does it only seem
longer?

If someone with a split personality threatens to commit suicide, is it
a hostage situation

Can you cry under water?

What level of importance must a person have , before they are
considered assassinated instead of just murdered?

If money doesn't grow on trees then why do banks have branches?

Why does a round pizza come in a square box?

How is it that we put man on the moon before we figured out it would be
a good idea to put wheels on bigger suitcases ?

Why is it that people say they "slept like a baby" when babies wake up,
like, every two hours?

If a deaf person has to go to court, is it still called a hearing?

Why do people pay to go up tall buildings and then put money in
binoculars to look at things on the ground?

Why do doctors, when they ask you to strip, leave the room or close the
cubicle curtain while you change? ..... They're still going to see you
naked anyway.

Old 14-04-2005, 09:03 AM
p.mc

"Mike" wrote in message
[...]

_ _

You mean you don't know.

Old 14-04-2005, 04:36 PM
JennyC

"Mike" wrote in message
Why do plant pots have a wide bit at the top?
Why not just a straight taper from the bottom to the top?
--
Chris

Why do .................

huge snip

Magic Mike :~))
Jenny

Old 14-04-2005, 04:59 PM
Mike

Why do .................

huge snip

Magic Mike :~))
Jenny

NO

NO

NO

NO Jenny

Oh my God that has put you with me in the Net Nanny bed:-(

Those who own the newsgroup will now list you as an 'Outcast', 'One who is
in allegiance with Mike'

Sacha, Barrowcloth, please forgive this wayword child just this once. ;-(

Mike

Old 16-04-2005, 06:33 PM
Mike Lyle

Mike wrote:
Why do plant pots have a wide bit at the top?
Why not just a straight taper from the bottom to the top?
--
Chris

Why do we press harder on a remote control when we know the

batteries
are flat?

[...]

On Star Trek and the like, why does the control panel blow up when
the remote system it controls breaks down?

I wound up a girlfriend of my son's once by saying a bulb had popped
because she'd switched the light on too hard.

Why do doctors, when they ask you to strip, leave the room or close
the cubicle curtain while you change? ..... They're still going to
see you naked anyway.

Life models always undress behind a screen, too. I suppose there's a
fear -- actually a justified one, if I'm anything to go by -- that
many people will find ecdysiasm more arousing than mere nudity.

--
Mike.

Old 18-04-2005, 02:19 AM
Warwick

In article , says...
Why do plant pots have a wide bit at the top?
Why not just a straight taper from the bottom to the top?
--
Chris

Why do we press harder on a remote control when we know the batteries
are flat?

Earlier switches were simple leaf springs made from metals thate were
likely to make a bad connection and thus fail to make the connection
well if some dampness had caused oxidation.

Why do banks charge a fee on "insufficient funds" when they know there
is not enough?

They expect funds to come in at some time to cover your financial
irregularity and thus make the profit that their shareholders expect of
them.

Why does someone believe you when you say there are four billion stars,
but check when you say the paint is wet?

They can't easily check the first statement is wildly inaccurate, but
the second staement is within the bounds of their experience

Why doesn't glue stick to the bottle?

The container chosen for the compound is formulated almost as much as
the glue. A lack of rection to the substance contained would be a prime
selection choice. Try superglueing superglue bottles together.

Why do they use sterilised needles for death by lethal injection?

Should there be a failure in the procedure at some point, there would be
a likelyhood that the recipient could be infected with a bacterial
infection that would cause a painful and nasty death that would be
against the rules of the state killing the inmate.

Why doesn't Tarzan have a beard?

Shaving isn't a recent phenomena. Flint is sharp enough to shave with so
it is entirly possible that even 5000 years ago men were shaving.
According to the stories, although raised by apes, he had enough
experience with his own species to have picked up some language and
behaviour

Why does Superman stop bullets with his chest, but ducks when you throw
a revolver at him?

Ask Hollywood, but possibly his eyes are vulnerablae

Why do Kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

When trying to fly a plane at a destroyer which would rather not be
sunk, it is a good idea to not be dead due to bullet wounds.

Whose idea was it to put an "S" in the word "lisp"?

same person who named the Stutter

What is the speed of darkness?

+ or - the speed of light

Are there specially reserved parking spaces for "normal" people at the
Special Olympics?

Olympians and family, trainers etc are usually involved in the transport
scheme. For the olympic procedings for the 'special' olypics, there is
usually a greater proportion of the car pakring space marked up for
disabled drivers

If you send someone 'Styrofoam', how do you pack it?

Dependant on the size,shape,rigidity and strength you'd choose a
suitable packing material. For a small styrofoam shape, you'd want a
different material.

If the temperature is zero outside today and it's going to be twice as
cold tomorrow, how cold will it be?

Null

If people evolved from apes, why are there still apes?

Look closely at a tree.

If it's true that we are here to help others, what are the others doing
here?

Helping you to help them by requiring your help

Do married people live longer than single ones or does it only seem
longer?

can you ask a question

If someone with a split personality threatens to commit suicide, is it
a hostage situation

It very much depends on if the personalities are aware of each other.

Can you cry under water?

Yes.
Your tear ducts don't stop just because they are wet.

What level of importance must a person have , before they are
considered assassinated instead of just murdered?

Now *that's* a difficult question

If money doesn't grow on trees then why do banks have branches?

Money doesn't grow on most companies and they have a head office and
'branch'offices. The simile is a useful way of envisioning a company
strusture.

Why does a round pizza come in a square box?

The production of a round box would be expensive and raise the price. It
would also give very little leeway for bulges and slight errors in the
round base.

How is it that we put man on the moon before we figured out it would be
a good idea to put wheels on bigger suitcases ?

Pride and cold war economics. Although wheeled suitcases were along in
Victorian times so null point

Why is it that people say they "slept like a baby" when babies wake up,
like, every two hours?

4 hours. But babies can sleep through loud things that would wake an
adult

If a deaf person has to go to court, is it still called a hearing?

Yes. The judges are hearing the evidence not the
plaintiff/defendant/witness

Why do people pay to go up tall buildings and then put money in
binoculars to look at things on the ground?

Marketers saw an opportunity to make a few quid.

Why do doctors, when they ask you to strip, leave the room or close the
cubicle curtain while you change? ..... They're still going to see you
naked anyway.

You feel as though you have some control over the situation. You have to
grant them permission to see each bit once you're changed. Once the
examination is completed you can talk to them in your normal stuff
without a mental image of them grabing your wossname(s) in *these*
clothes.

Next set of Urban legends please
Old 18-04-2005, 11:56 AM
Mike Lyle

Warwick wrote:
[...]
Why do we press harder on a remote control when we know the

batteries
are flat?

Earlier switches were simple leaf springs made from metals thate

were
likely to make a bad connection and thus fail to make the

connection
well if some dampness had caused oxidation.

[...etc...]

So good to know the famous British sense of irony is in safe hands.

--
Mike.

Old 14-04-2005, 09:16 AM
Kay

In article ], Chris ]
writes
Why do plant pots have a wide bit at the top?
Why not just a straight taper from the bottom to the top?

It is very difficult to empty a plant out of a straight pot.
--
Kay

Old 14-04-2005, 09:23 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article , Kay writes:
| In article ], Chris ]
| writes
| Why do plant pots have a wide bit at the top?
| Why not just a straight taper from the bottom to the top?
|
| It is very difficult to empty a plant out of a straight pot.

He said a straight taper. I.e. a simple truncated cone. Many
older plant pots were like that. Modern ones have a step at
the top where the cone is effectively glued onto a slightly
larger one, causing a lip outside and a wider bit inside.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 14-04-2005, 12:13 PM
Kay

In article , Nick Maclaren
writes

In article , Kay
writes:
| In article ], Chris ]
| writes
| Why do plant pots have a wide bit at the top?
| Why not just a straight taper from the bottom to the top?
|
| It is very difficult to empty a plant out of a straight pot.

He said a straight taper. I.e. a simple truncated cone. Many
older plant pots were like that. Modern ones have a step at
the top where the cone is effectively glued onto a slightly
larger one, causing a lip outside and a wider bit inside.

OK - reading too fast.
Isn't it so that you can make the pot out of thinner plastic? You have a
strong rim, then you don't need the rest of it so strong.

Doesn't explain why modern clay pots have the same rim! Older ones are
often rimless.
--
Kay