Old 14-04-2005, 08:24 AM
Chris

Default Why do plant pots have a wide bit at the top?

Why do plant pots have a wide bit at the top?
Why not just a straight taper from the bottom to the top?
--
Chris
Old 14-04-2005, 08:35 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ],
Chris ] writes:

| Why do plant pots have a wide bit at the top?

Probably to make them easier to pick up using machinery.

| Why not just a straight taper from the bottom to the top?

Older ones often did. I have some like that.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 14-04-2005, 08:35 AM
Mike

Why do plant pots have a wide bit at the top?
Why not just a straight taper from the bottom to the top?
--
Chris

Why do we press harder on a remote control when we know the batteries
are flat?

Why do banks charge a fee on "insufficient funds" when they know there
is not enough?

Why does someone believe you when you say there are four billion stars,
but check when you say the paint is wet?

Why doesn't glue stick to the bottle?

Why do they use sterilised needles for death by lethal injection?

Why doesn't Tarzan have a beard?

Why does Superman stop bullets with his chest, but ducks when you throw
a revolver at him?

Why do Kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

Whose idea was it to put an "S" in the word "lisp"?

What is the speed of darkness?

Are there specially reserved parking spaces for "normal" people at the
Special Olympics?

If you send someone 'Styrofoam', how do you pack it?

If the temperature is zero outside today and it's going to be twice as
cold tomorrow, how cold will it be?

If people evolved from apes, why are there still apes?

If it's true that we are here to help others, what are the others doing
here?

Do married people live longer than single ones or does it only seem
longer?

If someone with a split personality threatens to commit suicide, is it
a hostage situation

Can you cry under water?

What level of importance must a person have , before they are
considered assassinated instead of just murdered?

If money doesn't grow on trees then why do banks have branches?

Why does a round pizza come in a square box?

How is it that we put man on the moon before we figured out it would be
a good idea to put wheels on bigger suitcases ?

Why is it that people say they "slept like a baby" when babies wake up,
like, every two hours?

If a deaf person has to go to court, is it still called a hearing?

Why do people pay to go up tall buildings and then put money in
binoculars to look at things on the ground?

Why do doctors, when they ask you to strip, leave the room or close the
cubicle curtain while you change? ..... They're still going to see you
naked anyway.

Old 14-04-2005, 09:03 AM
p.mc

"Mike" wrote in message
[...]

_ _

You mean you don't know.

Old 14-04-2005, 09:16 AM
Kay

In article ], Chris ]
writes
Why do plant pots have a wide bit at the top?
Why not just a straight taper from the bottom to the top?

It is very difficult to empty a plant out of a straight pot.
--
Kay

Old 14-04-2005, 09:23 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article , Kay writes:
| In article ], Chris ]
| writes
| Why do plant pots have a wide bit at the top?
| Why not just a straight taper from the bottom to the top?
|
| It is very difficult to empty a plant out of a straight pot.

He said a straight taper. I.e. a simple truncated cone. Many
older plant pots were like that. Modern ones have a step at
the top where the cone is effectively glued onto a slightly
larger one, causing a lip outside and a wider bit inside.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 14-04-2005, 09:36 AM
JB

On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 08:24:31 +0100, Chris ] wrote:

Why do plant pots have a wide bit at the top?
Why not just a straight taper from the bottom to the top?

I assumed it prevented the top of the pot flexing too much. Not so
true for clay pots but with the plastic pots they would flex in any
direction they could and so break quicker.

JB
Old 14-04-2005, 09:36 AM
Colin

"Chris" ] wrote in message
]...
Why do plant pots have a wide bit at the top?
Why not just a straight taper from the bottom to the top?
--
Chris

Possibly;

To give people a fill line for compost, to allow for watering,

Maybe to increase the volume of water that can be fitted in the top of the
pot.

Maybe for stuctural reasons - it makes the pot more rigid having a little
lip

Perhaps someone just thought it looked better!?

Thats the best i can do at this time in the morning.

Colin

Old 14-04-2005, 09:41 AM
Tim Challenger

On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 08:24:31 +0100, Chris wrote:

Why do plant pots have a wide bit at the top?
Why not just a straight taper from the bottom to the top?

So you can stack them, without the sides and/or base being damaged?

--
Tim C.
Old 14-04-2005, 09:44 AM
Tim Challenger

On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 10:41:19 +0200, Tim Challenger wrote:

On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 08:24:31 +0100, Chris wrote:

Why do plant pots have a wide bit at the top?
Why not just a straight taper from the bottom to the top?

So you can stack them, without the sides and/or base being damaged?

Um, It also stops the pots jamming together as much.

--
Tim C.

Old 14-04-2005, 10:48 AM
news

Hi,

I always thought it was to limit the chances of the terracotta cracking when
the soil inside freezes during inclement weather. The frozen soil is forced
up and therefore does not exert to much pressure on the off vertical sides.

Chris
Essex, Obviously

news:1113468216.a93dda39083d0d14ab10be059c64b1ea@t eranews...

Old 14-04-2005, 11:16 AM
Sue Begg

In message , Colin
writes

"Chris" ] wrote in message
]...
Why do plant pots have a wide bit at the top?
Why not just a straight taper from the bottom to the top?

Could it be to help in stacking them?
Allow them to nest together but still give you a lip to get hold of to
separate them more easily.
--
Sue Begg
Remove my clothes to reply

Do not mess in the affairs of dragons - for
you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!
Old 14-04-2005, 11:40 AM
Tim Challenger

On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 09:48:07 GMT, news wrote:

Hi,

I always thought it was to limit the chances of the terracotta cracking when
the soil inside freezes during inclement weather. The frozen soil is forced
up and therefore does not exert to much pressure on the off vertical sides.

Sure, any sloping-side will do for that.
The OP was asking about the thickened ring around the top lip, not what are
pots tapered. As I understood it.

--
Tim C.
Old 14-04-2005, 12:13 PM
Kay

In article , Nick Maclaren
writes

In article , Kay
writes:
| In article ], Chris ]
| writes
| Why do plant pots have a wide bit at the top?
| Why not just a straight taper from the bottom to the top?
|
| It is very difficult to empty a plant out of a straight pot.

He said a straight taper. I.e. a simple truncated cone. Many
older plant pots were like that. Modern ones have a step at
the top where the cone is effectively glued onto a slightly
larger one, causing a lip outside and a wider bit inside.

OK - reading too fast.
Isn't it so that you can make the pot out of thinner plastic? You have a
strong rim, then you don't need the rest of it so strong.

Doesn't explain why modern clay pots have the same rim! Older ones are
often rimless.
--
Kay

Old 14-04-2005, 12:17 PM
Pam Moore

On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 08:24:31 +0100, Chris ] wrote:

Why do plant pots have a wide bit at the top?
Why not just a straight taper from the bottom to the top?

The worst sort of pots in my experience are the ones with a
curled-over rim which is a wonderful hiding place for small snails and
adult vine-weevil.

Pam in Bristol