Old 16-04-2005, 04:54 PM
Glenda

Default Flowerless fritillarias

Last year my fritillaria imperialis all came up with flowers on them
and looked great. This year, only a yellow one was flowered. Another
has shot up but has no flowers on it while some of the others haven't
grown to full size yet. I have been looking for red lily beetles on
the plants but can't find anything, is there another pest that would
have caused damage to prevent them from flowering and growing
properly?

Glenda Young

--
10 Years! Coronation Street Weekly Updates for th'Internet
http://www.corrieweeklyupdates.btinternet.co.uk
Old 16-04-2005, 05:27 PM
Emrys Davies

"Glenda" wrote in message
Last year my fritillaria imperialis all came up with flowers on them
and looked great. This year, only a yellow one was flowered. Another
has shot up but has no flowers on it while some of the others haven't
grown to full size yet. I have been looking for red lily beetles on
the plants but can't find anything, is there another pest that would
have caused damage to prevent them from flowering and growing
properly?

Glenda Young

--
10 Years! Coronation Street Weekly Updates for th'Internet
http://www.corrieweeklyupdates.btinternet.co.uk

Glenda,

They appear to be pest-free. Para. six of this site may help you a
little as to why you have no flowers on some of yours.
http://tinyurl.com/7fpqn

Regards,
Emrys Davies

Old 16-04-2005, 05:33 PM
Bob Hobden

"Glenda" wrote
Last year my fritillaria imperialis all came up with flowers on them
and looked great. This year, only a yellow one was flowered. Another
has shot up but has no flowers on it while some of the others haven't
grown to full size yet. I have been looking for red lily beetles on
the plants but can't find anything, is there another pest that would
have caused damage to prevent them from flowering and growing
properly?

Yes, Red Lily Beetle last year eating the foliage and stopping the bulbs
taking in nutrients.

--
Regards
Bob

Old 16-04-2005, 07:09 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Glenda wrote:
Last year my fritillaria imperialis all came up with flowers on them
and looked great. This year, only a yellow one was flowered. Another
has shot up but has no flowers on it while some of the others haven't
grown to full size yet. I have been looking for red lily beetles on
the plants but can't find anything, is there another pest that would
have caused damage to prevent them from flowering and growing
properly?

I have fewer flowers on them than any time in the past decade. It
is probably a consequence of last year's weather, though I am less
sure of which aspect of it.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 18-04-2005, 02:26 AM
Rodger Whitlock

On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 15:54:11 +0000 (UTC), Glenda
wrote:

Last year my fritillaria imperialis all came up with flowers on them
and looked great. This year, only a yellow one was flowered. Another
has shot up but has no flowers on it while some of the others haven't
grown to full size yet. I have been looking for red lily beetles on
the plants but can't find anything, is there another pest that would
have caused damage to prevent them from flowering and growing
properly?

Crown imperials are famously difficult to flower after their first
year. The only thing I can suggest is feeding them with potassium
sulfate during their active growth. (Use a *very* dilute solution,
please.) I was once told by an extremely knowledgable professional
horticulturist that CI's are heavy potassium feeders and won't do well
without a supplement thereof.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, BC, Canada