Old 27-01-2003, 10:41 AM
Iain A Gilroy

Default Quick growing hedge

I want to plant a hedge that will "quickly" give me a low (2-3 feet high)
box shaped hedge.

What would I be best to use.

Cheers

Iain
Scotland

Old 28-01-2003, 07:55 PM
Rodger Whitlock

On Mon, 27 Jan 2003 10:41:57 -0000, "Iain A Gilroy"
wrote:

I want to plant a hedge that will "quickly" give me a low (2-3 feet high)
box shaped hedge.

What would I be best to use.

Remember that a plant which grows 2 or 3 feet rapidly will
continue growing at the same rate for quite a long time.

IOW, there's no plant like the one you want.

You might think Lonicera nitida would do, but it really needs to
be cut back very hard the first few years so it has a properly
thick base. A good hedge of L. nitida takes, in my estimation,
5-10 years to develop.

Another possibility is box, but you will likely have to pay a
high price for the full-sized plants you need. Otherwise it's too
slow growing.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
Old 28-01-2003, 09:18 PM
david

Rodger Whitlock wrote
"You might think Lonicera nitida would do, but it really needs to
be cut back very hard the first few years so it has a properly
thick base..."

If you plant it almost flat on the ground and at a slight angle to the last
plant i.e. so that they form a row 6 inches or so wide then they will
sprout along the stem and form a thick base.
also once they start to shoot then you could even pin the stems down to the
ground and they will root along the stem..
If you then just top them lightly at around 12 inches then again at 18
inches you should have a 3 ft hedge in less than 3 year.
Alternatively you could plant as described and also plant one plant every 12
to 15 inches upright to make the height quicker whilst the base will thicken
up at the same time.
This is all dependant on the size of the plants you start with.
--
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Quick Hedge?? MG United Kingdom 5 25-03-2006 12:07 PM
quick question needing quick answer: what lighting? Jason Marr Freshwater Aquaria Plants 1 20-04-2003 06:22 AM
Quick growing hedge Mike United Kingdom 2 04-03-2003 07:46 PM
quick question needing quick answer: what lighting? Christopher Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 08-02-2003 08:27 PM
quick question needing quick answer: what lighting? Jason Marr Freshwater Aquaria Plants 1 08-02-2003 08:27 PM