Old 27-01-2003, 11:07 AM
Pam Moore

Default Liner for a rill

My daughter and her husband want to install a rill in their garden,
with a pump to recirculate the water. They have removed a small pond
for toddler Joe's safety and want a winding rill down which he can
float boats etc.
The question is what to use as a liner for the rill. They want it
curved, and about 6 inches wide.
Does anyone know of a flexible material which would do?
They thought of a small ditch lined with butyl or some plastic
drainage channel, but aesthetically wanted terra-cotta!
Any ideas gratefully received.
TIA

Cheers
Pam

Bristol
Old 27-01-2003, 06:39 PM
Natalie

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
My daughter and her husband want to install a rill in their garden,
with a pump to recirculate the water. They have removed a small pond
for toddler Joe's safety and want a winding rill down which he can
float boats etc.
The question is what to use as a liner for the rill. They want it
curved, and about 6 inches wide.
Does anyone know of a flexible material which would do?
They thought of a small ditch lined with butyl or some plastic
drainage channel, but aesthetically wanted terra-cotta!
Any ideas gratefully received.
TIA

I would have thought some sort of guttering material would be ideal.

Natalie

Old 27-01-2003, 06:54 PM
Sarah Dale

On Mon, 27 Jan 2003 11:07:02 +0000, Pam Moore wrote:

The question is what to use as a liner for the rill. They want it
curved, and about 6 inches wide.
Does anyone know of a flexible material which would do?
They thought of a small ditch lined with butyl or some plastic
drainage channel, but aesthetically wanted terra-cotta!

Guttering? May not be available in terracotta colour though....

Old 27-01-2003, 07:55 PM
Martin Sykes

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
My daughter and her husband want to install a rill in their garden,
with a pump to recirculate the water. They have removed a small pond
for toddler Joe's safety and want a winding rill down which he can
float boats etc.
The question is what to use as a liner for the rill. They want it
curved, and about 6 inches wide.
Does anyone know of a flexible material which would do?
They thought of a small ditch lined with butyl or some plastic
drainage channel, but aesthetically wanted terra-cotta!
Any ideas gratefully received.

Line it with butyl underneath. Then you can put anything you want on top to
make it pretty. If you want terracota, you could probably get terracotta (
or terracotta effect ) roof tiles cheaply enough. You can get U shaped ones
such as the Romans used to use which should meet the requirements.

Martin

Old 28-01-2003, 01:52 PM
Aiden

On Mon, 27 Jan 2003 11:07:02 +0000, Pam Moore
wrote:

snip
They thought of a small ditch lined with butyl or some plastic
drainage channel, but aesthetically wanted terra-cotta!
Any ideas gratefully received.
TIA

Cheers
Pam

Bristol

snip
As we speak we are undertaking just such a venture (well, would be if
it wasn't so cold and windy :-} ) and have lined the gully with Wickes
pond liner (cheapest we could find - 4x3m, UKP26 ) and have cemented
it in to disguise the balck liner. We have embedded very small "Tweed"
type gravel into it and produced a very satisfatory reslt. Perhaps
some mortar colouring in the cement mix might achieve the "terracotta
effect you want. Pix availble if you're interested.

Pond Liner Material Identification - What Pond Liner to Choose FLP Ponds (alternative) 0 10-02-2010 09:35 AM
New rill Pete C[_2_] Ponds (moderated) 5 30-06-2008 06:07 AM
Pond Liner vs. Roof Liner BenignVanilla Ponds 8 15-11-2006 06:09 PM
Concealing liner, or how to make seal above liner? wilko Ponds 5 05-04-2006 08:44 AM
Coconut Liner and/or rubber liner for window box planters Kelly Gardening 2 13-05-2003 11:08 PM