GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   hardenbergia violacea (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/92899-re-hardenbergia-violacea.html)

Sacha 23-04-2005 08:43 AM

hardenbergia violacea

On 23/4/05 8:35, in article , "Janet
Baraclough" wrote:

Has anyone any experience with growing this outdoors in the UK? (I've
already succumbed to temptation, of course).

Okay, that's it - David Poole?! If you haven't got one in your garden,
please come and get one!! I really hope this works for you Janet, because
it's such a lovely plant. It certainly wouldn't take a winter outside in
our area, though.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Nick Maclaren 23-04-2005 10:32 AM

Baraclough" wrote:

Has anyone any experience with growing this outdoors in the UK? (I've
already succumbed to temptation, of course).

Okay, that's it - David Poole?! If you haven't got one in your garden,
please come and get one!! I really hope this works for you Janet, because
it's such a lovely plant. It certainly wouldn't take a winter outside in
our area, though.

I grew one from seed, but failed to get it established. It seemed
to be another plant that is terribly sensitive to RSM and not being
watered regularly when young.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Sacha 23-04-2005 01:16 PM

On 23/4/05 12:04, in article ,
"Dave Poole" wrote:

Sacha wrote in reply to Janet:

Has anyone any experience with growing this outdoors in the UK? (I've
already succumbed to temptation, of course).

Okay, that's it - David Poole?! If you haven't got one in your garden,
please come and get one!!

Oh all right then - I've been muttering for ages that I need a few
more climbers and had ruled it out because of its flowering time (I
tend to go for summer flowerers). However, it will do extremely well
growing as a 'tangle' amongst the red passion flower on the S.E.
facing fence and will benefit from the evergreen protection afforded.
It should provide some nice contrasting colour to go with the pink-red
-buds and white stars of Jasminum polyanthum, which has invaded that
spot from 15 feet away and flowers from Feb - May. Can you put a nice
one aside and I'll pop in towards the end of next week?

Will do. ;-)

I still need something a bit 'special' for around the back door -
preferably very smelly and spectacular, but for the life of me I
cannot think of anything. I keep thinking about the giant Burmese
honeysuckle - Lonicera hildebrandiana, which is astonishing in size,
vigour and fragrance (not to mention price, judging by the Plantsman's
list) snip

David, we heard - and I do stress heard - that he is closing down and moving
abroad. Certainly, I've had no reply to an email I sent him some time ago,
so you might want to ring him and see what's up for sale, if this is true.
--

Sacha
(remove the weeds for email)

Charlie Pridham 23-04-2005 05:06 PM

"Dave Poole" wrote in message
[...]

list) , but it may get a bit too hammered by the north-easterlies in
winter. I suppose I could protect it, but as you know, I don't like
protecting plants here. They either grow and do well [Hoorah!!!] or
don't [Yah Boo Sucks and away with it!]

Anyway, nuff of my inconsequential musings. Janet, it all depends
how cool it gets in winter. It can cope with a minus 5C if relatively
dry and sheltered from biting winds. However, it will not tolerate
night-long exposures to minus 5C every night - especially if the day
time temperature does not rise appreciably above freezing. My guess
is that you might have more of a problem with winter wet rather than
cold.

It would need a dryish spot close to a warm sheltered wall and to play
safe, be prepared to drape a curtain of fleece over it on clear, cold
nights. The flower buds are carried on previous year's shoots and are
already formed by early winter. A sharpish frost could see them off,
leaving you looking at nice leaves and no flowers.

Dave Poole
Torquay, Coastal South Devon UK
Winter min -2°C. Summer max 34°C.
Growing season: March - November

I can't grow it out here (although I did try!) and a friend at the Old
Rectory, Marizion. which overlooks St Michaels mount can't either, we have
concluded that it copes with cold (about-4c) but not damp air at the same
time. Wonderful in a cold greenhouse though.
--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Charlie Pridham 23-04-2005 05:08 PM

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 23/4/05 12:04, in article ,
"Dave Poole" wrote:

[...]

Guy's still advertising but he may buy those a year at a time I suppose.
For Lonicer hilderbrandiana try Tom Hudson at tregrehan.

Sacha 24-04-2005 01:32 PM

On 24/4/05 13:14, in article ,
"Dave Poole" wrote:

Charlie Pridham wrote:

I can't grow it out here (although I did try!) and a friend at the Old
Rectory, Marizion. which overlooks St Michaels mount can't either, we have
concluded that it copes with cold (about-4c) but not damp air at the same
time. Wonderful in a cold greenhouse though.

I think it is worth a shot here Charlie - winter mins here are no
lower than minus 2C - and then only very occasionally for an hour or
so time. The spot I've got ear-marked has a seedling Clivia growing,
which has been there since it was 12 months old (a daft experiment
that worked) and a 'Christmas cactus' [Schlumbergera x buckleyi] ,
which has just finished flowering so temperatures aren't a problem.
We don't get anywhere near the amount of rainfall that you get down
there either so I'm reasonably confident it will be OK.

Thanks for the mench about Tregrehan (Lonicera hildebrandiana) btw.
I'll give them a call and see if they have any available or whether
they can point me in the right direction.

These people have it listed, too - Shrubland Park Nursery in Suffolk:
http://www.spnurseries.co.uk/mail%20order.htm
--

Sacha
(remove the weeds for email)