Old 23-04-2005, 01:16 PM
Sacha

On 23/4/05 12:04, in article ,
"Dave Poole" wrote:

Sacha wrote in reply to Janet:

Has anyone any experience with growing this outdoors in the UK? (I've
already succumbed to temptation, of course).

Okay, that's it - David Poole?! If you haven't got one in your garden,
please come and get one!!

Oh all right then - I've been muttering for ages that I need a few
more climbers and had ruled it out because of its flowering time (I
tend to go for summer flowerers). However, it will do extremely well
growing as a 'tangle' amongst the red passion flower on the S.E.
facing fence and will benefit from the evergreen protection afforded.
It should provide some nice contrasting colour to go with the pink-red
-buds and white stars of Jasminum polyanthum, which has invaded that
spot from 15 feet away and flowers from Feb - May. Can you put a nice
one aside and I'll pop in towards the end of next week?

Will do. ;-)

I still need something a bit 'special' for around the back door -
preferably very smelly and spectacular, but for the life of me I
cannot think of anything. I keep thinking about the giant Burmese
honeysuckle - Lonicera hildebrandiana, which is astonishing in size,
vigour and fragrance (not to mention price, judging by the Plantsman's
list) snip

David, we heard - and I do stress heard - that he is closing down and moving
abroad. Certainly, I've had no reply to an email I sent him some time ago,
so you might want to ring him and see what's up for sale, if this is true.
--

Sacha
(remove the weeds for email)

Old 23-04-2005, 05:06 PM
Charlie Pridham

"Dave Poole" wrote in message
[...]

list) , but it may get a bit too hammered by the north-easterlies in
winter. I suppose I could protect it, but as you know, I don't like
protecting plants here. They either grow and do well [Hoorah!!!] or
don't [Yah Boo Sucks and away with it!]

Anyway, nuff of my inconsequential musings. Janet, it all depends
how cool it gets in winter. It can cope with a minus 5C if relatively
dry and sheltered from biting winds. However, it will not tolerate
night-long exposures to minus 5C every night - especially if the day
time temperature does not rise appreciably above freezing. My guess
is that you might have more of a problem with winter wet rather than
cold.

It would need a dryish spot close to a warm sheltered wall and to play
safe, be prepared to drape a curtain of fleece over it on clear, cold
nights. The flower buds are carried on previous year's shoots and are
already formed by early winter. A sharpish frost could see them off,
leaving you looking at nice leaves and no flowers.

Dave Poole
Torquay, Coastal South Devon UK
Winter min -2°C. Summer max 34°C.
Growing season: March - November

I can't grow it out here (although I did try!) and a friend at the Old
Rectory, Marizion. which overlooks St Michaels mount can't either, we have
concluded that it copes with cold (about-4c) but not damp air at the same
time. Wonderful in a cold greenhouse though.
--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 23-04-2005, 05:08 PM
Charlie Pridham

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 23/4/05 12:04, in article ,
"Dave Poole" wrote:

[...]

Guy's still advertising but he may buy those a year at a time I suppose.
For Lonicer hilderbrandiana try Tom Hudson at tregrehan.