GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Potatoes! (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/93220-potatoes.html)

Alan Holmes 29-04-2005 06:20 PM

Potatoes!

1st earlies are showing, but no sign of either 2nd earlies or maincrop.

--
alan

reply to alan(dot)holmes27(at)virgin(dot)net

Draven 29-04-2005 07:25 PM

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

1st earlies are showing, but no sign of either 2nd earlies or maincrop.

--
alan

reply to alan(dot)holmes27(at)virgin(dot)net

Mine are growing like weeds.

Kay 29-04-2005 08:22 PM

In article , Alan Holmes
writes

1st earlies are showing, but no sign of either 2nd earlies or maincrop.

Well, it's early yet!!
Mine aren't showing at all

And my rhubarb only popped though last week
--
Kay

orfy 29-04-2005 09:52 PM

My mate gave me some and they are 6" high.
I'm topping them up with straw to the top of the growth.

When do I stop putting straw on and when do I know when to dig them up?

Harold Walker 30-04-2005 09:09 AM

"orfy" wrote in message

My mate gave me some and they are 6" high.
I'm topping them up with straw to the top of the growth.

When do I stop putting straw on and when do I know when to dig them up?

Usually I wait until they start flowering then I stick my hand into the soil
and feel around for a few...just enough to make a single meal...HW

--
orfy

Alan Gould 30-04-2005 09:44 AM

In article , Kay
writes

And my rhubarb only popped though last week

We've been pulling rhubarb for a couple of weeks now, but that's from
old long established crowns. Younger ones are well on, but not yet ready
to pick.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.

Alan Holmes 30-04-2005 05:42 PM

"Kay" wrote in message
In article , Alan Holmes
writes

1st earlies are showing, but no sign of either 2nd earlies or maincrop.

Well, it's early yet!!
Mine aren't showing at all

And my rhubarb only popped though last week

MY rhubarb has been up about 2 weeks, so there!

Alan Holmes 02-05-2005 11:07 PM

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

1st earlies are showing, but no sign of either 2nd earlies or maincrop.

Maincrop just starting to show!