Old 02-05-2005, 09:10 PM
Sacha

On 2/5/05 19:19, in article , "Janet
Baraclough" wrote:

The message
from Chris Hogg contains these words:

On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 22:22:42 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

My body's reaction was so violent that my doctor warned me never to
be stung again - not a comforting or practical piece of advice!

A boy at school carried a syringe in a belt on his waist at all times
for such emergencies. I presume he was liable to suffer anaphylaxic
shock from bee or wasp stings. I imagine the syringe contained
adrenaline.

Epipen, available on prescription. There are some contra-indications,
a GP will advise.

Mine said he wouldn't turn me loose with one which I thought rather rude of
him. ;-) I was given some tablets, the name of which I now forget, so
presumably I was/am one step or so down from instant disaster. I remember
having somewhere between 12 and 16 stings, mainly in the head and face. I
remember also calling the doctor because I'd had bad reactions to one sting
many years before and getting a locum type who gave me something like
Piriton, I think. As any antihistamine knocks me out better than a hammer
could, all I recall of that night is waking at around 1am and feeling as if
I had the worst dose of 'flu known to mankind. Luckily, my breathing was
never impaired. Next morning, I could open my right eye one very tiny slit
and my left was closed completely. My own doctor came out and gave me an
injection, which acted very rapidly, and the "don't get stung again"
warning. It took 6 days for the swelling to subside to the point where I
could go out in public without causing traffic jams.

--

Sacha
(remove the weeds for email)

Old 04-05-2005, 04:04 PM
Dave

wrote:

My body's reaction was so violent that my doctor warned me never to
be stung again - not a comforting or practical piece of advice!

A boy at school carried a syringe in a belt on his waist at all times
for such emergencies. I presume he was liable to suffer anaphylaxic
shock from bee or wasp stings. I imagine the syringe contained
adrenaline.

from Chris Hogg
Epipen, available on prescription. There are some contra-indications,
a GP will advise.

Sacha writes
[...]

Have you tried homeopathy? I've just looked it up, and apart from
treatment if you have a sting there are simple lactose-based tablet
things you could have with you and take for anaphylactic shock from
stings, but you would need a proper diagnosis from a homeopath.

I still use it occasionally, but now for most things I use reiki, which
has no 'moving parts' or equipment needed.
--
David