Old 01-05-2005, 10:46 PM
Alan Holmes

Default Raised beds

I've been looking at the possibility of setting up raised beds.

I had an area big enough for three, possibly four, beds about 35 feet
long by 4 feet wide.

I'd decided to make them 6 inches high using gravel boards from Wickes,
I calculated how many boards I'd need, and how I would fix them together.

Whilst still considering this project and before going to Wickes to lay
out an enormous sum of money, it occurred to me there might be a problem
with the annual bonfire.

How could I move the timber around the raised beds to allow me to burn
the huge pile of trimmings from the numerous trees I have in the garden.

After a great deal of deliberation, I came to the conclusion that it
would not be a simple task.

So all my work has been on vain, and I've decide not to bother with the
raised beds at all, a pity.

--
alan

reply to alan(dot)holmes27(at)virgin(dot)net

Old 02-05-2005, 08:29 AM
Chris & Patsy

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

[...]

Hi Alan

Yes I had a similar problem ! We have a lot of prunings that we generally
burn however I have just blown the dust off my old shredder (not used for
almost 10 years) and shredded a load of stuff yesterday. This should save a
load of fires and give me a useful load of mulch. (and feels much better
than burning stuff).

I have just a few weeks a go built a few smaller beds 4 x 8 foot (using a 6"
gravel boards, double height). These only cover a small part of the veg
plot. I'll see how things go this year and perhaps expand next spring !

Why not start small with only half the beds this year and see how it goes ?.

Chris

Old 02-05-2005, 09:25 AM
Kay

In article , Alan Holmes
writes

Whilst still considering this project and before going to Wickes to lay
out an enormous sum of money, it occurred to me there might be a problem
with the annual bonfire.

How could I move the timber around the raised beds to allow me to burn
the huge pile of trimmings from the numerous trees I have in the garden.

After a great deal of deliberation, I came to the conclusion that it
would not be a simple task.

So all my work has been on vain, and I've decide not to bother with the
raised beds at all, a pity.

Have you considered an incinerator (dustbin with holes in)? - might
allow you to burn you tree trimmings in a smaller, more controlled space
without too much extra time.

Are you regarding your bonfire as an important source of potash? If not,
then you could take the trimmings to your local recycling centre and not
need the bonfire at all.

Or you could go for even more expense ;-) and get a shredder. You could
use the shredded prunings either as the footpaths between the beds or
you could compost them. Raised beds do well if you add about 6 inches of
compost each year (it all breaks down, so you don't end up with 30 inch
high beds after 5 years!) - it gives really nice loose soil so that
weeds can be pulled out really easily.

It seems to me a shame to abandon year round ease of cultivation for an
event which happens once a year.
--
Kay

Old 02-05-2005, 10:10 AM
Mike

So all my work has been on vain, and I've decide not to bother with the
raised beds at all, a pity.

Think again. I 'threw' 3 up a couple of years ago and the difference is
amazing. The timber I used, stuff removed from a boarded area under the
tiles on the roof, has now all but rotted and we are rebuilding this winter.

Have you considered an incinerator (dustbin with holes in)? - might
allow you to burn you tree trimmings in a smaller, more controlled space
without too much extra time.

We had one of those and it was first class and just as Kay describes, BUT,
when finished with, keep under cover and away from the rain. The galvanising
comes off at the first firing and when wet, rusts away. Also, try not to get
the sides red hot when firing. Because of our lack of space now in the
garden, everywhere is tightly packed, I used the incinerator, standing on
the path, to burn our old kitchen unit sides, tops, drawers etc when we had
a new Farmhouse Kitchen/Diner built in another room. It got red hot and that
didn't d it any good either.

Are you regarding your bonfire as an important source of potash? If not,
then you could take the trimmings to your local recycling centre and not
need the bonfire at all.

That is where a lot of ours go too. We use those big green bags with canvas
handles on. Pack the stuff in tight and put them in the boot and on the back
seat after putting sheets and blankets on the seats first.

Or you could go for even more expense ;-) and get a shredder. You could
use the shredded prunings either as the footpaths between the beds or
you could compost them. Raised beds do well if you add about 6 inches of
compost each year (it all breaks down, so you don't end up with 30 inch
high beds after 5 years!) - it gives really nice loose soil so that
weeds can be pulled out really easily.

It seems to me a shame to abandon year round ease of cultivation for an
event which happens once a year.

Quite agree and everything is so much neater :-))

An 'In Thing' which is far better than the 'Blue Paint/Preservative' theme
which is everywhere :-((

Mike
learning quite a bit about gardening in old age;-)

Old 02-05-2005, 11:07 PM
Alan Holmes

"Kay" wrote in message
In article , Alan Holmes
writes

Whilst still considering this project and before going to Wickes to lay
out an enormous sum of money, it occurred to me there might be a problem
with the annual bonfire.

How could I move the timber around the raised beds to allow me to burn
the huge pile of trimmings from the numerous trees I have in the garden.

After a great deal of deliberation, I came to the conclusion that it
would not be a simple task.

So all my work has been on vain, and I've decide not to bother with the
raised beds at all, a pity.

Have you considered an incinerator (dustbin with holes in)? - might
allow you to burn you tree trimmings in a smaller, more controlled space
without too much extra time.

The problem there is that the trimmings often create a heap about 6 feet
high and about 8 feet across, one would need to have something like 100
binfires each year to deal with that quantity.

I dont think I'd have the patience to do it that way.

Are you regarding your bonfire as an important source of potash? If not,
then you could take the trimmings to your local recycling centre and not
need the bonfire at all.

Or you could go for even more expense ;-) and get a shredder. You could
use the shredded prunings either as the footpaths between the beds or
you could compost them. Raised beds do well if you add about 6 inches of
compost each year (it all breaks down, so you don't end up with 30 inch
high beds after 5 years!) - it gives really nice loose soil so that
weeds can be pulled out really easily.

I already have a shredder, but unfortunately, a lot of the trimmings are
about 2 inches in Diameter and my shredder could not deal with either that
size or the quantity I manage to accumulate.

It seems to me a shame to abandon year round ease of cultivation for an
event which happens once a year.

I can't do anything but agree but the quantity of the waste is just too
much.

Old 03-05-2005, 09:10 AM
Kay

In article , Alan Holmes
writes

I already have a shredder, but unfortunately, a lot of the trimmings are
about 2 inches in Diameter and my shredder could not deal with either that
size or the quantity I manage to accumulate.

It seems to me a shame to abandon year round ease of cultivation for an
event which happens once a year.

I can't do anything but agree but the quantity of the waste is just too
much.

In that case, all I can do is suggest the route suggested by another
poster - make fewer raised beds and leave one area as a bonfire site.

--
Kay

Old 03-05-2005, 10:28 AM
Janet Tweedy

In article , Alan Holmes
writes

I already have a shredder, but unfortunately, a lot of the trimmings are
about 2 inches in Diameter and my shredder could not deal with either that
size or the quantity I manage to accumulate.

I can do that size on my Viking shredder but I tend to use hedge
cuttings that size as kindling for our multi fuel fire. It's much more
useful! A good pair of loppers will cut the stuff into 6 or even 12 inch
lengths.

Janet

--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 25-05-2005, 07:04 PM
Alan Holmes

"Kay" wrote in message
In article , Alan Holmes
writes

I already have a shredder, but unfortunately, a lot of the trimmings are
about 2 inches in Diameter and my shredder could not deal with either that
size or the quantity I manage to accumulate.

It seems to me a shame to abandon year round ease of cultivation for an
event which happens once a year.

I can't do anything but agree but the quantity of the waste is just too
much.

In that case, all I can do is suggest the route suggested by another
poster - make fewer raised beds and leave one area as a bonfire site.

And, for me, that is no easy task!(:-)

I bought some 6" wide gravel boards, but when I offered them up I decided
that they were going to be too tall, so I've decided to make one, to start
with, 4 inches high, it will be about 38 feet long and 4 feet wide.

The first one will be used for potatoes, and the amount I plant will just
about fill that, whilst that one is growing, I will make a start on the next
one.

I will, hopefully, finish up with three, and I've yet to sort out what will
be the crop rotation for the three.

One thing is almost certain, one end of each bed will be a strawberry bed!

Old 26-05-2005, 04:41 PM
Broadback

Alan Holmes wrote:

"Kay" wrote in message

In article , Alan Holmes
writes

[...]

I've grown spuds in raised beds for the last three years, I simply cover
with grass trimmings instead of earthing up, and plant a little closer
than recommended. they do fine, all the best with yours. This year I
planted one of my 4' x 15'beds with strawberries, using black sheeting
for them to grow through, and when they are near ripening I will cover
with netting laid over hoops. Hoping that will be easier and better
than my previous strawberry bed, which was a pain to net and "straw".