Old 05-02-2003, 02:16 PM
DeVille

Default Raununculus

"Bart" wrote in a message:
Thanks for the reply. I planted the tubers in October and the plant has
sent up shoots. But with all the frost we've had, the shoots and leaves

are
now more or less dead. (Which is why I thought I'd made a mistake and
planted them too early). Er, they are outdoors plants, are they? Or are
they for indoors only?
--------------------------

Bart,

It all depends on whether your ranunculus are hardy or half-hardy,
tuberous-rooted or herbaceous. Most are hardy and will survive quite happily
in garden borders except for the tuberous-rooted R. asiaticus which, apart
from very mild areas of the UK, should be over-wintered in a place free from
frost.
Mid July, as soon as the leaves have turned yellow, the tubers should be
lifted and sun dried before storing for the winter. As it is now February,
you could leave your plants where they are, cut those dead leaves away and
give your plants a good mulch of well rotted leaf-mould, farmyard manure or
peat.

Best of luck,
DeVille