Old 06-05-2005, 05:09 PM
Tom

Default looking for a name of a plant

Hello,

I'm looking to identify a plant which I took a cutting of in Menorca, it was
climbing up the walls of the apartments where we were staying. It has green
leaves and purple flowers although they dont look like flowers, theyre more
like leaves as theyre so thin and they have lots of veins running through
them. I actually have 2 plants which I think are the same, the one is
flowering bright pink and the other is purple. A guy who was with us said
it was a boulevere but I have typed that in google and came up with nothing
so I'm hoping someone here will know what they are.

Thanks.

Old 06-05-2005, 05:19 PM
Mike

Bougainvillea?

The flowers which look like leaves are in fact called 'bracts'

Mike

Old 06-05-2005, 06:08 PM
Sacha

On 6/5/05 5:09 pm, in article ,
"Tom" wrote:

Hello,

I'm looking to identify a plant which I took a cutting of in Menorca, it was
climbing up the walls of the apartments where we were staying. It has green
leaves and purple flowers although they dont look like flowers, theyre more
like leaves as theyre so thin and they have lots of veins running through
them. I actually have 2 plants which I think are the same, the one is
flowering bright pink and the other is purple. A guy who was with us said
it was a boulevere but I have typed that in google and came up with nothing
so I'm hoping someone here will know what they are.

Bougainvillea, I would think. The flowers are tiny white things and the
brightly coloured bracts are what you're describing. You can't grow them
outdoors in UK, but they're very popular conservatory plants.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 06-05-2005, 09:53 PM
Tom

Well guys you sorted that out for me in no time at all. It is indeed a
Bougainvillea as I have now seen the images on google thanks to your
expertise on naming it for me.

Thank you all for your input.

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "Tom" contains these words:

Hello,

I'm looking to identify a plant which I took a cutting of in Menorca, it

was
climbing up the walls of the apartments where we were staying. It has

green
leaves and purple flowers although they dont look like flowers, theyre

more
like leaves as theyre so thin and they have lots of veins running

through
them.

Well observed.

I actually have 2 plants which I think are the same, the one is
flowering bright pink and the other is purple. A guy who was with us

said
it was a boulevere but I have typed that in google and came up with

nothing
so I'm hoping someone here will know what they are.

Sounds like bougainvillea. If so, the coloured bit that you describe
as not quite like a flower is a bract (a modified leaf)

If you click on "images" in google, you'll be able to match a colour
picture.
Janet.

Scientific Name Eschsclozia californica COMMON NAME CALIFORNIA POPPY Family Name Papavaraceae Paddy's Pig[_7_] Garden Photos 4 23-03-2011 06:44 PM
Scientific Name Salvia mellifera COMMON NAME BLACK SAGE Family Name Lamiaceae Paddy's Pig[_7_] Garden Photos 1 23-03-2011 08:22 AM
Looking for a plant name CCR Gardening 0 21-05-2007 10:36 PM
Looking for something but don't know it's name Mike S. Gardening 6 24-02-2007 04:04 AM
[IBC] Tree Name Database. Was [IBC] Name Meaning Nicolas Steenhout Bonsai 0 16-10-2004 10:45 AM