GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Weed suppressant membrane (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/9379-weed-suppressant-membrane.html)

Paul Bendall 09-02-2003 11:17 PM

Weed suppressant membrane

Hi all,

I am looking for recommendations for weed suppressant fabric. I am turning
the back of my garden into a small veg patch with raised areas for planting.
Around these raised beds I want to put down a layer of gravel, I want to use
a weed suppressant under the gravel to stop the majority of weeds coming
through. What sort of fabric would be best to cope with the gravel being
trod into it. The stuff I have seen at B&Q and my local garden centre
doesn't looking very strong and looks very thin. Any recommendations where
to get this online?

Regards,

Paul

dave @ stejonda 10-02-2003 06:12 AM

Weed suppressant membrane

In message , Paul Bendall
writes

I am looking for recommendations for weed suppressant fabric.

Terram from http://www.gardenfab.com/ works for me (as recommended
here by cormaic).

--
dave @ stejonda

Alternative Global News : http://commondreams.org//

H 10-02-2003 09:29 AM

Weed suppressant membrane

The stuff I have seen at B&Q and my local garden centre
doesn't looking very strong and looks very thin. Any recommendations where
to get this online?

I did the same as you ... raised beds, membrane between ... although I used
bark chips as a cover rather than gravel.

However, in another part of my garden, my 'beach' consists of membrane
covered with 4 tons of beach shingle. Note this is nice, smooth rounded
stuff as opposed to small, sharp shards of gravel.

I used the cheap 'n cheerful stuff from the local DIY shop and haven't had
any problems with either cover type.

Best,

- h

Paul Bendall 10-02-2003 09:12 PM

Weed suppressant membrane

Thanks Dave I guess you would recommend the Patio Partner product to use
underneath the gravel?

Paul

"dave @ stejonda" wrote in message
In message , Paul Bendall
writes

Bridie 12-11-2008 05:53 AM

Hi Paul,
The weed membrane you describe sounds like the type I bought from my local garden centre (black in colour but very thin). I used that under pea shingle for pathways for my father over 5months ago and not a weed in sight.
Hope this is of some help for you.
Regards
Bridie