Old 09-02-2003, 11:17 PM
Paul Bendall

Default Weed suppressant membrane

Hi all,

I am looking for recommendations for weed suppressant fabric. I am turning
the back of my garden into a small veg patch with raised areas for planting.
Around these raised beds I want to put down a layer of gravel, I want to use
a weed suppressant under the gravel to stop the majority of weeds coming
through. What sort of fabric would be best to cope with the gravel being
trod into it. The stuff I have seen at B&Q and my local garden centre
doesn't looking very strong and looks very thin. Any recommendations where
to get this online?

Regards,

Paul

Old 10-02-2003, 06:12 AM
dave @ stejonda

In message , Paul Bendall
writes

I am looking for recommendations for weed suppressant fabric.

Terram from http://www.gardenfab.com/ works for me (as recommended
here by cormaic).

--
dave @ stejonda

Alternative Global News : http://commondreams.org//
Old 10-02-2003, 09:29 AM

The stuff I have seen at B&Q and my local garden centre
doesn't looking very strong and looks very thin. Any recommendations where
to get this online?

I did the same as you ... raised beds, membrane between ... although I used
bark chips as a cover rather than gravel.

However, in another part of my garden, my 'beach' consists of membrane
covered with 4 tons of beach shingle. Note this is nice, smooth rounded
stuff as opposed to small, sharp shards of gravel.

I used the cheap 'n cheerful stuff from the local DIY shop and haven't had
any problems with either cover type.

Best,

- h

Old 10-02-2003, 09:12 PM
Paul Bendall

Thanks Dave I guess you would recommend the Patio Partner product to use
underneath the gravel?

Paul

"dave @ stejonda" wrote in message
In message , Paul Bendall
writes

Old 12-11-2008, 05:53 AM
Registered User

Hi Paul,
The weed membrane you describe sounds like the type I bought from my local garden centre (black in colour but very thin). I used that under pea shingle for pathways for my father over 5months ago and not a weed in sight.
Hope this is of some help for you.
Regards
Bridie

what type of gravel/weed suppressant Janet Tweedy United Kingdom 8 28-03-2011 11:43 PM
weed suppresant membrane ttg Gardening 3 20-03-2010 01:16 AM
weed membrane is it ok to use plastic sheet instead gavj Gardening 5 11-06-2007 02:26 PM
Carpet v Weed Membrane Mr Big United Kingdom 8 01-07-2006 02:44 PM
Newspaper as grass suppressant Robo Australia 8 24-11-2004 11:39 AM