GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Eucomis Bicolour - From seed (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/9385-eucomis-bicolour-seed.html)

Martin Sykes 10-02-2003 02:10 PM

Eucomis Bicolour - From seed

I germinated some seed from a Eucomis Bicolor (Pineapple Lily) last autumn
and within a couple of weeks I had 20 plants with one large glossy green
leaf each about 4" long. Since then they have stayed looking healthy but
have done nothing else. Is this normal and if so, when am I likely to see
them put on some more growth?

Martin

sacha 10-02-2003 02:25 PM

Eucomis Bicolour - From seed

in article , Martin Sykes at
wrote on 10/2/03 2:10 pm:

I germinated some seed from a Eucomis Bicolor (Pineapple Lily) last autumn
and within a couple of weeks I had 20 plants with one large glossy green
leaf each about 4" long. Since then they have stayed looking healthy but
have done nothing else. Is this normal and if so, when am I likely to see
them put on some more growth?

They'll start growing when the warmer weather does. All ours that flowered
last year were chopped down to base and look very sad at the moment.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Michael Berridge 11-02-2003 12:42 AM

Eucomis Bicolour - From seed

Martin Sykes wrote in message ...
I germinated some seed from a Eucomis Bicolor (Pineapple Lily) last

autumn
and within a couple of weeks I had 20 plants with one large glossy

green
leaf each about 4" long. Since then they have stayed looking healthy

but
have done nothing else. Is this normal and if so, when am I likely to

see
them put on some more growth?

That one leaf will be creating a root storage system. Many of that type
of perennial seem to take a long time to get a second leaf but they are
using the time to develop roots (can't remember if Eucomis is a corm or
rhizome).

Mike
www.british-naturism.org.uk