Old 11-05-2005, 10:00 PM
batgirl

I think you are the verminous one. How utterly vile. What are the creatures
doing to deserve death? What kind of a world do we live in where we blast
something we don't like into smithereens? You are the keeper of a small part
of this beautiful earth, please treat everything in it with respect.

Clare

"Clive in Kent @hotmail.com" cliverholdenremove wrote in message
Hi all, Need to get rid of (permanently!) 2 big, fat, greedy wood pigeons
and a verminous grey squirrel out of my garden. Thinking about buying an
air rifle. Do I need a license for one of these nowadays?

Clive in Kent

Old 11-05-2005, 10:32 PM
JB

On Wed, 11 May 2005 21:00:42 +0000 (UTC), "batgirl"
wrote:

I think you are the verminous one. How utterly vile. What are the creatures
doing to deserve death? What kind of a world do we live in where we blast
something we don't like into smithereens? You are the keeper of a small part
of this beautiful earth, please treat everything in it with respect.

Everything? Does that include every plant and every slug?

JB

Old 13-05-2005, 08:49 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "batgirl" contains these words:

Yes

wrote:

I think you are the verminous one. How utterly vile. What are the
creatures
doing to deserve death? What kind of a world do we live in where we blast
something we don't like into smithereens? You are the keeper of a small
part
of this beautiful earth, please treat everything in it with respect.

Everything? Does that include every plant and every slug?

Except top-posters.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 13-05-2005, 11:37 PM
JB

On Fri, 13 May 2005 18:34:49 +0000 (UTC), "batgirl"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

I think you are the verminous one. How utterly vile. What are the
creatures
doing to deserve death? What kind of a world do we live in where we blast
something we don't like into smithereens? You are the keeper of a small
part
of this beautiful earth, please treat everything in it with respect.

Everything? Does that include every plant and every slug?

JB

Yes

[top posting corrected]

So you respect plants by allowing them to be eaten by slugs and you
respect slugs by killing or starving them?

The moment you picked up a spade to plant something you have chosen to
kill something else. It is at best naive to believe that you are in
some way exempt from the chains of cause and effect that exist in the
rest of the universe.

JB

Old 11-05-2005, 10:44 PM
Ben Clay

This land in which we live did not become the way it is by treating
everything in it with respect. If we left every living thing to its own
devices we'd be living in a forest and you, dear batgirl, would have
nowhere to live.

Ben
(on a top posting mission)

Old 11-05-2005, 11:25 PM
Mike Lyle

Ben Clay wrote:
This land in which we live did not become the way it is by treating
everything in it with respect. If we left every living thing to its
own devices we'd be living in a forest and you, dear batgirl,

would
have nowhere to live.

Ben
(on a top posting mission)

[...]

..posting-top love just I

..distinctions making of capable are us of some but ,thread this for
hope little There's .preservation total meant "respect" said Nobody

..argument of level juvenile this with time our waste Don't

(.posterese-top perfect into this all translate couldn't I Sorry)

--
..ekiM.

Old 12-05-2005, 07:57 AM
Ben Clay

LOL!

neB
(gnitsop-pot llits)

[...]

Old 11-05-2005, 11:20 PM
Bob Hobden

"
"Clive in Kent wrote
Hi all, Need to get rid of (permanently!) 2 big, fat, greedy wood pigeons
and a verminous grey squirrel out of my garden. Thinking about buying an
air rifle. Do I need a license for one of these nowadays?

Clare replied
I think you are the verminous one. How utterly vile. What are the
creatures doing to deserve death? What kind of a world do we live in
where we blast something we don't like into smithereens? You are the
keeper of a small part of this beautiful earth, please treat everything in
it with respect.

He will probably have the greatest respect as he pulls the trigger. Like the
almost reverential respect, even love, shown by carp fisherman to the fish
they catch.
Personally I don't see the need to shoot the Wood Pigeons nesting in one of
our Cordylines or the Grey squirrels that occasionally infest our Bird Table
yet our next door neighbour catches them in traps. Some people go mad about
other peoples cats in their gardens which again doesn't bother me one bit,
Sue even feeds them (as I have just done to the local Hedgehog)!

Perhaps if Clive would explain why he dislikes these creature in his garden,
to those of us that find his desired actions strange and "over the top", we
could understand where he is coming from.

O.T. A steam train has just gone past, lovely hissing/clanking sound, the
glow of the firebox..... amazing, wonderful, nostalgic.
I suppose some people would complain about that too.

--
Regards
Bob

Old 12-05-2005, 08:57 AM
Derek Turner

batgirl wrote:
I think you are the verminous one. How utterly vile. What are the creatures
doing to deserve death? What kind of a world do we live in where we blast
something we don't like into smithereens? You are the keeper of a small part
of this beautiful earth, please treat everything in it with respect.

but clare, we DO like them! they are very tasty, blasting them to
smithereens would make them inedible so we don't do it (and air weapons
must have come on a long way if they are capable of it anyway). Do grow
up, there's a good girl.

Old 12-05-2005, 09:04 AM
Harold Walker

"Derek Turner" somewhat@odds wrote in message
batgirl wrote:
I think you are the verminous one. How utterly vile. What are the
creatures doing to deserve death? What kind of a world do we live in
where we blast something we don't like into smithereens? You are the
keeper of a small part of this beautiful earth, please treat everything
in it with respect.

but clare, we DO like them! they are very tasty, blasting them to
smithereens would make them inedible so we don't do it (and air weapons
must have come on a long way if they are capable of it anyway). Do grow
up, there's a good girl.

My .177 pellet air gun does a fine job at 1000feet per second
velocity.....takes down rabbits, squirrels etc. with ease....wonder if I am
playing fair using the telescopic sights...,,,I feed 'em to the
coyotes.....HW

Old 12-05-2005, 09:29 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Turner
batgirl wrote:
I think you are the verminous one. How utterly vile. What are the creatures
doing to deserve death? What kind of a world do we live in where we blast
something we don't like into smithereens? You are the keeper of a small part
of this beautiful earth, please treat everything in it with respect.

but clare, we DO like them! they are very tasty, blasting them to
smithereens would make them inedible so we don't do it (and air weapons
must have come on a long way if they are capable of it anyway). Do grow
up, there's a good girl.

I agree with Clare entirely. There is absolutely no need to shoot squirrels and wood pigeons for the sake of garden plants. I'm not a tree-hugging, knit your own muesli, animal activist - but I think you need to get a sense of perspective here.

Zoe
Old 12-05-2005, 04:01 PM
Harold Walker

"ZoeM" wrote in message

Derek Turner Wrote:
batgirl wrote:-
[...]

Is there any need to kill off hens and pigs and cows etc. just to satisfy
the bellies of humans...why not go vegetarian?..HW --
ZoeM

Old 12-05-2005, 05:40 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
ZoeM wrote:

I agree with Clare entirely. There is absolutely no need to shoot
squirrels and wood pigeons for the sake of garden plants. I'm not a
tree-hugging, knit your own muesli, animal activist - but I think you
need to get a sense of perspective here.

Well, I am into all three - and there is. Of course, I am happy to
accept the viewpoint is that we should be reintroducing and encouraging
more predators, avian and mammalian, to control our pest species.
Unfortunately, I can't think of anything that preys on motorists, but
a good use of genetic modification would be to develop something.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 12-05-2005, 05:58 PM
Harold Walker

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
In article ,
ZoeM wrote:

I agree with Clare entirely. There is absolutely no need to shoot
squirrels and wood pigeons for the sake of garden plants. I'm not a
tree-hugging, knit your own muesli, animal activist - but I think you
need to get a sense of perspective here.

Well, I am into all three - and there is. Of course, I am happy to
accept the viewpoint is that we should be reintroducing and encouraging
more predators, avian and mammalian, to control our pest species.
Unfortunately, I can't think of anything that preys on motorists, but
a good use of genetic modification would be to develop something.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Salt in the gasoline tank...HW