GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Parthenocissus - henryana (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/94049-parthenocissus-henryana.html)

Alex Woodward 14-05-2005 12:08 AM

Parthenocissus - henryana

Just purchased a Virginia creeper that I hope to plant in a container that
measures 2 1/2 ft long x 6 inches wide x 6 inches deep. Am I being a little
too optimistic in hoping that this will be sufficient depth etc; to allow it
to grow to its full potential?

Alex

Charlie Pridham 14-05-2005 08:54 AM

"Alex Woodward" wrote in message
Just purchased a Virginia creeper that I hope to plant in a container that
measures 2 1/2 ft long x 6 inches wide x 6 inches deep. Am I being a

little
too optimistic in hoping that this will be sufficient depth etc; to allow

it
to grow to its full potential?

Alex

Yes, its much too small. Also bear in mind that Parthenocissus being closely
related to the Vines is very popular with vine weevils and you are asking
for trouble growing in a container unless you protect the plant.

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Ornata 18-05-2005 10:37 AM

Damn! I wanted to plant my one against the (shady) back wall of the house but was going to put it in a large container. Thanks for the reminder about vine weevils - I think instead we'll have to take up a slab of the patio and plant it in the ground. I hope it can cope with the localised alkalinity of the soil there, though.