GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   carrot shaped turnip? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/94177-carrot-shaped-turnip.html)

Helen Hartley 16-05-2005 12:36 PM

carrot shaped turnip?

I have found a plant in the garden that looks like a carrot shaped turnip.

Are there turnips like this?

Does anyone have examples of varieties with pictures?

Thanks

Helen

Emrys Davies 16-05-2005 02:02 PM

"Helen Hartley" wrote in message
I have found a plant in the garden that looks like a carrot shaped

turnip.

Are there turnips like this?

Does anyone have examples of varieties with pictures?

Thanks

Helen

It is not unique!!

http://www.cannedveggies.org/learnmo...os/turnips.htm

http://www.heirloomseeds.com/fall.htm
Scroll to 'White egg turnip'

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Kay 16-05-2005 05:19 PM

In article , Helen Hartley
writes
I have found a plant in the garden that looks like a carrot shaped turnip.

You mean smooth skinned an purplish top, and therefore different from a
parsnip?

Could it be a wild carrot (Daucus carota)? Or just possibly either
hamburg parsley or a winter radish?

--
Kay

Steve Harris 16-05-2005 06:00 PM

In article ,
(Kay) wrote:

Could it be a wild carrot (Daucus carota)? Or just possibly either
hamburg parsley or a winter radish?

The first two will have much more finely divided leaves than a turnip.
The radishes I've seen tend to have smoother leaves than the turnips. My
turnip leaves have a somewhat prickled surface.

How big and what colour is it Helen?

A useful bit of gardening software at
http://www.netservs.com/garden/

Helen Hartley 17-05-2005 10:37 AM

How big and what colour is it Helen?

Turnip type leaves (approx 25 cm spread)
diameter at the top of the root 4cm
tapering slowly to a few mm
root length approx 20cm

purple colour at the top of the root
fading to white afer 3cm

Very much like your standard turnip apart from the shape!

Many thanks

Helen

Steve Harris 18-05-2005 05:37 PM

In article , (Helen
Hartley) wrote:

root length approx 20cm

purple colour at the top of the root
fading to white afer 3cm

My GUESS is that it's turnip that has over wintered. When turnip roots
are crowded, they tend to grow long and thin rather than fat. Cut it
open and sniff.