Old 16-05-2005, 12:36 PM
Helen Hartley

Default carrot shaped turnip?

I have found a plant in the garden that looks like a carrot shaped turnip.

Are there turnips like this?

Does anyone have examples of varieties with pictures?

Thanks

Helen

Old 16-05-2005, 02:02 PM
Emrys Davies

"Helen Hartley" wrote in message
I have found a plant in the garden that looks like a carrot shaped

turnip.

Are there turnips like this?

Does anyone have examples of varieties with pictures?

Thanks

Helen

It is not unique!!

http://www.cannedveggies.org/learnmo...os/turnips.htm

http://www.heirloomseeds.com/fall.htm
Scroll to 'White egg turnip'

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Old 16-05-2005, 05:19 PM
Kay

In article , Helen Hartley
writes
I have found a plant in the garden that looks like a carrot shaped turnip.

You mean smooth skinned an purplish top, and therefore different from a
parsnip?

Could it be a wild carrot (Daucus carota)? Or just possibly either
hamburg parsley or a winter radish?

--
Kay

Old 17-05-2005, 10:37 AM
Helen Hartley

How big and what colour is it Helen?

Turnip type leaves (approx 25 cm spread)
diameter at the top of the root 4cm
tapering slowly to a few mm
root length approx 20cm

purple colour at the top of the root
fading to white afer 3cm

Very much like your standard turnip apart from the shape!

Many thanks

Helen