Old 29-05-2005, 10:41 AM
Registered User

Location: Ireland
Default Question about pruning Japanese Acer?

Hello,

My name is Shannon and i'm new here. My husband is an amateur gardener and i try to help He is not good on the computer so i decided to join and send in a question for him.

We haven't a large garden but it's big enough for both of us.

About eight years ago we bought two Japanese Acers, i can't remember the exact name but in Summer they have beautiful delicate green leaves turning to yellow with a hint of red that fall off around September and the bark on the remaining branches turns red, we have the beautiful red bark all thriugh Winter.

The problem is that the two trees have grown very large and are over shadowing some shrubs, we are afraid to prune them in case we loose their lovely natural shape.
Is it possible to stop them growing or have any of you other ideas?

Second question, my husband wants to build a garden pond, can you give him some tips as to where to start, i must tell you that he is not a hany man

Thank you.

Shannon
Old 30-05-2005, 01:23 PM
Registered User

Location: Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon114
[...]

Hope someone can help with my question please
Old 31-05-2005, 08:38 PM
Registered User

Location: Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon114
Hope someone can help with my question please
Any ideas anyone?

Shannon.
Old 01-06-2005, 08:40 AM
p.k.

Shannon114 wrote:
Shannon114 Wrote:
Hope someone can help with my question please

Any ideas anyone?

Shannon.

I have one in a japanese courtyard (in the ground). i prune hard in mid
winter to thin out the crossing wood and give the shape/structure i want. in
the summer i remove any growth that spoils the desired structure.

I'm pruning fot two things: winter architecture & Summer shape.

Over the past 5 or so yeasr i have on occasion beeen pretty bruatal but it
comes back all the better every time.

pk

Old 01-06-2005, 02:43 PM
Registered User

Location: Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.k.
Shannon114 wrote:
Shannon114 Wrote:
Hope someone can help with my question please

Any ideas anyone?

Shannon.

I have one in a japanese courtyard (in the ground). i prune hard in mid
winter to thin out the crossing wood and give the shape/structure i want. in
the summer i remove any growth that spoils the desired structure.

I'm pruning fot two things: winter architecture & Summer shape.

Over the past 5 or so yeasr i have on occasion beeen pretty bruatal but it
comes back all the better every time.

pk
Thank you pk for your reply, its appreciated.

Shannon.

Japanese Acer jenlbrett United Kingdom 1 22-09-2003 09:14 PM
Acer Garnet - Japanese Maple Gardening 0 06-05-2003 09:20 PM
Acer Garnet - Japanese Maple Phisherman Gardening 0 01-05-2003 01:56 AM
Powdery mildew on Japanese Maple (acer palmatum) jimitheskin Bonsai 1 11-04-2003 03:20 PM
[IBC] Powdery mildew on Japanese Maple (acer palmatum) kevin bailey Bonsai 0 11-04-2003 09:56 AM