Old 24-02-2003, 08:57 AM
Mystery Man

Default Looking after a Trachycarpus fortunei

Hi,

Are there any experts on these palm's?

I have one in my garden, its about 4 ft tall. I need some advice on leaf
care. I assume that the trun is formed from the stumps of the dead palms.
Do you cut the stalks at a certain time or do you just let them die off
naturally. I noticed over the weekend that some of the older leaves on the
outside are starting to go yellow.

Any advice gratefully recieved

TIA

Rick

Old 24-02-2003, 09:31 AM
Paul Kelly

"Mystery Man" wrote in message
Hi,

Are there any experts on these palm's?

I have one in my garden, its about 4 ft tall. I need some advice on leaf
care. I assume that the trun is formed from the stumps of the dead palms.
Do you cut the stalks at a certain time or do you just let them die off
naturally. I noticed over the weekend that some of the older leaves on

the
outside are starting to go yellow.

Any advice gratefully recieved

Either!

You can leave them to die off naturally, but I prefer to tidy up the "trunk"
every so often and remove the older, tattier, more yellowed leaves.

Old 24-02-2003, 12:25 PM
Mystery Man

"Paul Kelly" wrote in message

"Mystery Man" wrote in message
Hi,

Are there any experts on these palm's?

I have one in my garden, its about 4 ft tall. I need some advice on

leaf
care. I assume that the trun is formed from the stumps of the dead

palms.
Do you cut the stalks at a certain time or do you just let them die off
naturally. I noticed over the weekend that some of the older leaves on

the
outside are starting to go yellow.

Any advice gratefully recieved

Either!

You can leave them to die off naturally, but I prefer to tidy up the

"trunk"
every so often and remove the older, tattier, more yellowed leaves.

any recommendation on how long I should leave the stump?

Old 24-02-2003, 12:50 PM
Paul Kelly

"Mystery Man" wrote in message

You can leave them to die off naturally, but I prefer to tidy up the

"trunk"
every so often and remove the older, tattier, more yellowed leaves.

any recommendation on how long I should leave the stump?

I clear mine up to the tatty laves each year - leaving the crown untouched.
I started at around 30 cm 5 years ago and is now around 1m with a crown of
8/10 leaves.

DON'T chop off the top - ever!

pk

Old 24-02-2003, 01:37 PM
Mystery Man

"Paul Kelly" wrote in message

"Mystery Man" wrote in message

You can leave them to die off naturally, but I prefer to tidy up the

"trunk"
every so often and remove the older, tattier, more yellowed leaves.

any recommendation on how long I should leave the stump?

I clear mine up to the tatty laves each year - leaving the crown

untouched.
I started at around 30 cm 5 years ago and is now around 1m with a crown of
8/10 leaves.

DON'T chop off the top - ever!

pk

Thanks for that, glad you put the last bit in though, thats what I was going
to do.

Old 24-02-2003, 09:35 PM
ernest jones

We have had a Trachycharpus Fortunei for about 10 years bought from Stapeley
Water Gardens. Left it in its pot for a couple of years and then plonked it
in the ground. It is now approx. 9 feet high and growing rapidly. When the
leaves start to go yellow and lean over too much cut them with a very sharp
knife or saw at the trunk. In the winter I bring all the leaves up and bind
them because winter winds they do not like.