Old 24-02-2003, 09:03 AM
Tony Simpson

Default Lemon trees

Probably not the right N/G since we are in New Zealand, but the closest I
can find quickly....

We have just bought a new house with a lemon tree in the garden. However it
only produces very pithy, dry lemons (though lots of them). What can I do to
improve the quality of the crop??

I have tried a heavy dose of fertiliser (citrus mix) and put more water into
the root zone, but response is slow at best.

Our climate is cool - summer up to 25 degrees, winter down to -5, but it is
in a very sheltered area right under the house. The soil is a loose friable
silt.

TIA
Tony

Old 24-02-2003, 11:48 AM
Warwick Dumas

"Tony Simpson" wrote in message
Probably not the right N/G since we are in New Zealand, but the closest I
can find quickly....

We have just bought a new house with a lemon tree in the garden. However

it
only produces very pithy, dry lemons (though lots of them). What can I do

improve the quality of the crop??

I have tried a heavy dose of fertiliser (citrus mix) and put more water

into
the root zone, but response is slow at best.

Our climate is cool - summer up to 25 degrees, winter down to -5, but it

is
in a very sheltered area right under the house. The soil is a loose

friable
silt.

Pick lemons, it sounds like!

Surely if you left all the apples on an apple tree, you'd expect a lot of
dry, small fruits... why should lemons be any different?

I never thought before that alluvial soil should ever cause problems, and
fertility sounds like the least likely one, but maybe its sedimentary nature
makes it prone to be free draining in the summer? With a vegebed, one could
incorporate manure but with a tree, I don't know what. Maybe do one side at
a time (different years) in case you smash up the roots too much.

I'm impressed that someone's grown a lemon tree in what sounds like a UK
climate. Mine died when they were 6 inches tall and about 13 months old
iirc!

Old 24-02-2003, 09:26 PM
Simon

Follow the link : http://www.citruscentre.co.uk/ they are very knowledgeable
about everything citrus, and I'm sure they wouldn't mind answering your
questions.

Simon

"Tony Simpson" wrote in message
Probably not the right N/G since we are in New Zealand, but the closest I
can find quickly....

We have just bought a new house with a lemon tree in the garden. However

it
only produces very pithy, dry lemons (though lots of them). What can I do

improve the quality of the crop??

I have tried a heavy dose of fertiliser (citrus mix) and put more water

into
the root zone, but response is slow at best.

Our climate is cool - summer up to 25 degrees, winter down to -5, but it

is
in a very sheltered area right under the house. The soil is a loose

friable
silt.

TIA
Tony

Lemon Tree Advice to a newbie please: Is it wide enough to plant mynew bought lemon tree? [email protected] Gardening 2 25-05-2008 04:22 AM
Lemon-scented something - lemon-scented.jpg Ann Garden Photos 5 07-08-2007 06:09 PM
Lemon Trees Kirkyboy Edible Gardening 0 05-08-2003 04:38 PM
Orange Trees and Lemon Trees Chookie Australia 2 23-04-2003 02:33 PM
Orange Trees and Lemon Trees Dickee12 Edible Gardening 6 14-02-2003 11:39 AM