GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Advice for Myrtle please (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/95046-advice-myrtle-please.html)

Broadback 30-05-2005 05:52 PM

Advice for Myrtle please

A local herb garden centre is closing and are selling plants off. I've
bought a Myrtle which I intend to grow in a container. Any advice
please on feeding watering, and is it frost hardy?
TIA

Des Higgins 30-05-2005 06:24 PM

"Broadback" wrote in message
A local herb garden centre is closing and are selling plants off. I've
bought a Myrtle which I intend to grow in a container. Any advice please
on feeding watering, and is it frost hardy?
TIA

We had a 2 myrtles in Cork (Irish south coast) which we inherited when we
moved in and which were already small trees/big shrubs and were outdoors
althought the frosts were never very hard. It rarely went below 2-3celsius
below freezing but it certainly froze regularly in winter and there must
have been occasional harder frosts. My guess would be that it will do fine
outdoors as long as you give it some shelter from east winds. Feeding and
watering were not neccessary where we lived :-).

Kay 30-05-2005 07:41 PM

In article , Broadback
writes
A local herb garden centre is closing and are selling plants off. I've
bought a Myrtle which I intend to grow in a container. Any advice
please on feeding watering, and is it frost hardy?

Mine has been outside for the last three or 4 winters

--
Kay

Meegs 31-05-2005 05:16 PM

I planted 4 myrtles about a year ago (Kent) and understood them to be slightly tender so I gave them full sun and shelter and they're doing well. As you intend to use a container, water more frequently in summer and you could move the pot to a sheltered spot when there's a danger of frost.

Steve Harris 01-06-2005 09:59 AM

In article ,
(Broadback) wrote:

is it frost hardy?

A few books I've looked at suggest it is borderline

A useful bit of gardening software at
http://www.netservs.com/garden/

Jaques d'Alltrades 01-06-2005 04:11 PM

The message
from (Steve Harris) contains these words:
In article ,

(Broadback) wrote:

is it frost hardy?

A few books I've looked at suggest it is borderline

I've got bog myrtle growing in a planter, that's fully frost-hardy.

You'd probably need an acid soil if you were going to plant it out, and
it does like damp conditions.

It makes a fine and pleasant infusion which is said to be good for the
nerves. I must say that after drinking it I am much more alert.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/