GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Ownership of fence (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/95085-ownership-fence.html)

Nick Maclaren 01-06-2005 07:45 PM

In article ,
Mike Lyle wrote:
Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article . 150,
Victoria Clare writes:

[...]
3) 'my lover' - surely a South Devon term, not a Cornish one?

Probably. "My love" was the form used, though "my dear" was
more common if I recall correctly.

I wish I could remember clearly, but I can't actually place "My
lover" with any precision -- you could even convince me it was Wilts;
but the expression in East Devon, just south of the Moor, was
certainly "Mah dearr". As England goes, Devon's a big place.

I was referring to Cornwall. I have never lived in Devon.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Sacha 01-06-2005 09:47 PM

On 1/6/05 19:42, in article , "Mike Lyle"
wrote:

Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article . 150,
Victoria Clare writes:

[...]
3) 'my lover' - surely a South Devon term, not a Cornish one?

Probably. "My love" was the form used, though "my dear" was
more common if I recall correctly.

I wish I could remember clearly, but I can't actually place "My
lover" with any precision -- you could even convince me it was Wilts;
but the expression in East Devon, just south of the Moor, was
certainly "Mah dearr". As England goes, Devon's a big place.

'My loverrrr" is certainly Devonian as is 'my maid' and 'my man', though all
are rarely heard now, sadly.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Victoria Clare 02-06-2005 09:42 AM

(Nick Maclaren) wrote in news:d7kpds$9ui$1
@gemini.csx.cam.ac.uk:

In article ,
Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:
The message . 150
from Victoria Clare contains these words:

3) 'my lover' - surely a South Devon term, not a Cornish one?

He's probably a Grockle innit.

That's emmet. Foreigners call them grockles.

In North Devon Grockle is the correct term. I believe emmet to be the
Cornish equivalent.

As far as I recall, if someone called you 'my lover' in North Devon (when I
was growing up there), they were probably taking the **** out of the accent
of someone from South/Mid Devon (they kind of merge together when you are
looking from Barnstaple, like Cumbria and Scotland on the new BBC weather
map). I think 'my dear' is more genuine.

I still don't think my original terminology was in any way unclear though,
and as I have lived practically my whole life in houses surrounded by the
dratted things, I feel I can call them what I like as long as people know
what I mean, which they clearly do.

Victoria
--
gardening on a north-facing hill
in South-East Cornwall

Chris Bacon 02-06-2005 10:57 AM

Victoria Clare wrote:
I still don't think my original terminology was in any way unclear though,
and as I have lived practically my whole life in houses surrounded by the
dratted things, I feel I can call them what I like as long as people know
what I mean, which they clearly do.

That's how the language changes. To me, if someone said "Cornish bank"
I would think of Barclay's or similar. See Mr. Maclaren's post on the
disappearence of Cornish accent/dialect/patois, whichever. This helps
the speed of change.

Jaques d'Alltrades 03-06-2005 10:24 AM

The message
from Sacha contains these words:

'My loverrrr" is certainly Devonian as is 'my maid' and 'my man', though all
are rarely heard now, sadly.

'My Man' is oft heard in Norfolk and Suffolk.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

Sacha 03-06-2005 11:19 AM

On 3/6/05 10:24 am, in article
, "Jaques d'Alltrades"
wrote:

The message
from Sacha contains these words:

'My loverrrr" is certainly Devonian as is 'my maid' and 'my man', though all
are rarely heard now, sadly.

'My Man' is oft heard in Norfolk and Suffolk.

Ah but they're very posh counties, and butlers and valets abound! ;-)
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Chris Bacon 03-06-2005 11:55 AM

Sacha wrote:
Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:
'My Man' is oft heard in Norfolk and Suffolk.

Ah but they're very posh counties, and butlers and valets abound! ;-)

ITYM "bounders and varlets". HTH.

Judith Lea 03-06-2005 12:19 PM

In article , Sacha
writes

'My Man' is oft heard in Norfolk and Suffolk.

Ah but they're very posh counties, and butlers and valets abound! ;-)

Not in my household, although my husband could always adopt Butler as a
middle name.
--
Judith Lea

Sacha 03-06-2005 12:28 PM

On 3/6/05 11:55 am, in article , "Chris Bacon"
wrote:

Sacha wrote:
Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:
'My Man' is oft heard in Norfolk and Suffolk.

Ah but they're very posh counties, and butlers and valets abound! ;-)

ITYM "bounders and varlets". HTH.

Oh, *very* good. ;-)
--

Sacha
(remove the weeds for email)

Sacha 03-06-2005 12:29 PM

On 3/6/05 12:19 pm, in article , "Judith
Lea" wrote:

In article , Sacha
writes

'My Man' is oft heard in Norfolk and Suffolk.

Ah but they're very posh counties, and butlers and valets abound! ;-)

Not in my household, although my husband could always adopt Butler as a
middle name.

Given your gold slippers, I think 'Parker' would be more suitable for your
butler. ;-)
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Jaques d'Alltrades 04-06-2005 12:15 AM

The message
from Sacha contains these words:

'My Man' is oft heard in Norfolk and Suffolk.

Ah but they're very posh counties, and butlers and valets abound! ;-)

Things aren't the same since the war, y'know. Just can't get the staff, what?

Why, for a couple of months I've been advertising locally for a Saturday
Boy, and no-one's even *ASKED* about the prestigious position.

(See http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/ad/ )

True, I don't provide a livery, d'you think I should?

--
Rusty

Jaques d'Alltrades 04-06-2005 12:17 AM

The message
from Chris Bacon contains these words:
Sacha wrote:
Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:
'My Man' is oft heard in Norfolk and Suffolk.

Ah but they're very posh counties, and butlers and valets abound! ;-)

ITYM "bounders and varlets". HTH.

No, that would be Cambridgeshier and Essex.

Sacha 04-06-2005 08:21 AM

On 4/6/05 0:15, in article ,
"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote:

The message
from Sacha contains these words:

'My Man' is oft heard in Norfolk and Suffolk.

Ah but they're very posh counties, and butlers and valets abound! ;-)

Things aren't the same since the war, y'know. Just can't get the staff, what?

Why, for a couple of months I've been advertising locally for a Saturday
Boy, and no-one's even *ASKED* about the prestigious position.

(See
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/ad/ )

True, I don't provide a livery, d'you think I should?

I'm sure that's where you're going wrong. ;-) Breeches and gaiters and a
collarless shirt, plus free straw for the chewing of, are the minimum
requirements. ;-)
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Jaques d'Alltrades 04-06-2005 11:25 AM

The message
from Sacha contains these words:

True, I don't provide a livery, d'you think I should?

I'm sure that's where you're going wrong. ;-) Breeches and gaiters and a
collarless shirt, plus free straw for the chewing of, are the minimum
requirements. ;-)

I'm sure you're right.

I've some spare flatcaps, too, but unfortunately not of the 'Ecky Thump'
variety. I take it he brings his own tacketty boots?

Mike Lyle 04-06-2005 04:09 PM

Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:
[...]
Why, for a couple of months I've been advertising locally for a
Saturday Boy, and no-one's even *ASKED* about the prestigious
position.

(See http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/ad/ )

[...]

ĦQue sorpresa! if I may say so.