GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Healthy strawberry plants, but few flowers...? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/95216-healthy-strawberry-plants-but-few-flowers.html)

Kenneth 02-06-2005 01:01 PM

Healthy strawberry plants, but few flowers...?

Howdy,

I have a bed with several variety of apparently healthy
strawberry plants but they have produced few flowers.

What nutrient is likely to be the culprit?

Thanks for any help,
--
Kenneth

Alan Gould 02-06-2005 07:41 PM

In article , Kenneth
writes

Howdy,

I have a bed with several variety of apparently healthy
strawberry plants but they have produced few flowers.

Strawberry plants have the highest number of flowers in their second and
third years. Older ones, and first year ones, tend to have less.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.

Kenneth 02-06-2005 08:25 PM

On Thu, 2 Jun 2005 19:41:40 +0100, Alan Gould
wrote:

In article , Kenneth
writes

Howdy,

I have a bed with several variety of apparently healthy
strawberry plants but they have produced few flowers.

Strawberry plants have the highest number of flowers in their second and
third years. Older ones, and first year ones, tend to have less.

Howdy,

Well, those that I have described are all two and three
years old. I put a bed in three years ago, and added a new
section two years ago.

I strongly suspect a nutrient deficiency. Might you know
which nutrient(s) would affect flowering?

Thanks,
--
Kenneth

Alan Gould 03-06-2005 06:23 AM

In article , Kenneth
writes

I strongly suspect a nutrient deficiency. Might you know
which nutrient(s) would affect flowering?

They might benefit in the longer term from a dusting of well matured
fire ash, or other form of potash, but that wouldn't help this year's
crop.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.