Old 28-02-2003, 05:45 PM
kram

Default Willow tree

I have a willow tree which didn't get any leaves on it last summer and it's
branches are
mainly brittle with the odd soft ones in between. Last year it had suckers
all over it and I just wanted to know have these suckers killed it
completely or will it grow again ?

Mark

Old 28-02-2003, 08:14 PM
Kay Easton

In article , kram
writes
I have a willow tree which didn't get any leaves on it last summer and it's
branches are
mainly brittle with the odd soft ones in between. Last year it had suckers
all over it and I just wanted to know have these suckers killed it
completely or will it grow again ?

If it had no leaves on it last year, I would expect it to be dead, but
you could give it till, say, June to give it one last chance. If none of
the soft twigs show sign of life by then, then you can bin it.

Alternatively, scrape a sliver of bark off an area you think may be
alive - if the twig is green underneath you may have hope, if brown,
then that bit is dead.

Or - start pruning back from the ends - dead wood will look dry and have
a brownish tinge, green will be slightly moister and have a greenish
tinge.

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
http://www.scarboro.demon.co.uk/garden/
Old 01-03-2003, 12:48 PM
AWM

"kram" wrote in message
I have a willow tree which didn't get any leaves on it last summer and

it's
branches are
mainly brittle with the odd soft ones in between. Last year it had suckers
all over it and I just wanted to know have these suckers killed it
completely or will it grow again ?

Mark

Some Willows such as the Kilmarnock are very prone to fungal diseases such
as rust eventually the tree can't fight it off any more.