GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Horseradish... (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/9589-horseradish.html)

Mungo \two sheds\ Toadfoot 02-03-2003 10:55 PM

Horseradish...

....what does it look like? The leaves, that is. There's lots of hedgey
things and fields around here and I was hoping to find a bit to plant
(contained!) in the garden. Not being Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall though,
I've not much idea of what I'm looking for and there's bound to be a very
similar plant which will kill me deader.

Si

--
Knight of the shedi.
May the forks be with you.

ICQ 126921488

Kay Easton 02-03-2003 11:10 PM

Horseradish...

In article , Mungo "two sheds"
Toadfoot writes
...what does it look like? The leaves, that is. There's lots of hedgey
things and fields around here and I was hoping to find a bit to plant
(contained!) in the garden. Not being Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall though,
I've not much idea of what I'm looking for and there's bound to be a very
similar plant which will kill me deader.

It's leaves are a bit like dock, but larger, shinier, tougher.
Easy to tell the difference once you know what you're looking for ;-)
Remember you need the landowner's permission before removing any plant.
And even road verges are owned.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
http://www.scarboro.demon.co.uk/garden/

Gary Woods 03-03-2003 12:17 AM

Horseradish...

"Mungo \"two sheds\" Toadfoot" wrote:

I was hoping to find a bit to plant
(contained!) in the garden

Better you should nicely ask someone near you who has some. I suspect
they'll gladly start with a few of the small side roots, which is all you
need.
Pay no attention to the maniacal laughter as you leave...
I'd gladly give you some, but it's a bit of a trip, and our customs people
are nervous of late.

Nick Maclaren 03-03-2003 08:08 AM

Horseradish...

In article , "Mungo \"two sheds\" Toadfoot" writes:
| ...what does it look like? The leaves, that is. There's lots of hedgey
| things and fields around here and I was hoping to find a bit to plant
| (contained!) in the garden. Not being Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall though,
| I've not much idea of what I'm looking for and there's bound to be a very
| similar plant which will kill me deader.

Don't worry - the smell is distinctive. The older leaves are like
large dock leaves, but the young ones are feathery in appearance.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren,
Email:
Tel.: +44 1223 334761 Fax: +44 1223 334679

Steve Harris 03-03-2003 05:44 PM

Horseradish...

In article ,
(Gary Woods) wrote:

I'd gladly give you some, but it's a bit of a trip, and our customs
people are nervous of late.

A veritable Weapon of Mass Destruction :-)

Gary Woods 03-03-2003 06:53 PM

Horseradish...

(Steve Harris) wrote:

A veritable Weapon of Mass Destruction :-)

Let's see... stir-fried Bok Choi with Jerusalem Artichokes, and a bit of
horseradish for zing. I'd have Hans Blix on my doorstep in no time.

(Carefully avoiding politics except to comment that not all Americans are
like that.... replies by email only, please).

And that frogspawning picture evokes envy in several ways... The first
thing I'll post pointers to will likely be garlic shoots, and not for a few
weeks...

Cheers all!

Gary Woods AKA K2AHC- PGP key on request, or at
www.albany.net/~gwoods

Mungo \two sheds\ Toadfoot 03-03-2003 07:27 PM

Horseradish...

"Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot" wrote in
message ...

Many thanks, I'll go hunting soon.

Si

The Reids 03-03-2003 07:34 PM

Horseradish...

Following up to Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot

...what does it look like? The leaves, that is.

the leaves taste of horseradish, (you can eat **young** ones) they are
not about at the moment of course!
--
Mike Reid
Land of roast meat "http://www.fell-walker.co.uk/castile.htm"

Andy Spragg 03-03-2003 11:42 PM

Horseradish...

(Steve Harris) pushed briefly to the front of the
queue on Mon, 3 Mar 2003 17:44 +0000 (GMT), and nailed this to the
shed door:

^ In article ,
^
(Gary Woods) wrote:
^
^ I'd gladly give you some, but it's a bit of a trip, and our customs
^ people are nervous of late.
^
^ A veritable Weapon of Mass Destruction :-)

Hehe. Mouth Destruction, surely?

Andy

--
sparge at globalnet point co point uk

"His hair was cropped and washed, his chin clean shaven.
Only the eyes still said that whatever it was
the Universe thought it was doing to him,
he would still like it please to stop"
Douglas Adams, "So long and thanks for all the fish"