GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   killing sycamores (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/9603-killing-sycamores.html)

Lazarus Cooke 03-03-2003 02:45 PM

killing sycamores

When the squatters next door are evicted (I'm told it may happen in the
next month or so - last time they came back) I'm thinking of nipping
over the fence into the garden and cutting down the sycamore saplings
which spring up all over the place round here, and which are
threatening to overshade my garden completely.

If I cut them down, how do I kill the stump?

Lazarus

don 04-03-2003 04:11 PM

killing sycamores

"Lazarus Cooke" wrote in message
When the squatters next door are evicted (I'm told it may happen in the
next month or so - last time they came back) I'm thinking of nipping
over the fence into the garden and cutting down the sycamore saplings
which spring up all over the place round here, and which are
threatening to overshade my garden completely.

If I cut them down, how do I kill the stump?

Lazarus

Use SBK brushwood killer. Drill a hole down centre of trunk and fill with
killer.

Lazarus Cooke 04-03-2003 07:05 PM

killing sycamores

In article , don
wrote:

"Lazarus Cooke" wrote in message
When the squatters next door are evicted (I'm told it may happen in the
next month or so - last time they came back) I'm thinking of nipping
over the fence into the garden and cutting down the sycamore saplings
which spring up all over the place round here, and which are
threatening to overshade my garden completely.

If I cut them down, how do I kill the stump?

Lazarus

Use SBK brushwood killer. Drill a hole down centre of trunk and fill with
killer.

Many thanks. Don't think I'm anti-tree - I love the things.

Lazarus

Steve Harris 04-03-2003 10:29 PM

killing sycamores

In article , (don)
wrote:

Use SBK brushwood killer.

Yes or Deep Root crystals. I've used both. The trick seems to be to cut
them down close to the ground and IMEDIATELY apply the stuff to the
stump. Cover the cut surface, especially the outer ring which is where
the sap is.

Spraying foliage or drilling holes in the trunk and planning to axe
later has been far less effective for me.

If you delay applying the killer to the stump, the top bit dies and you
have no way of getting the poison to the roots. A few months later you
get buds between the cut and the ground :-(.

05-03-2003 04:23 PM

killing sycamores

"Lazarus Cooke" wrote in message
When the squatters next door are evicted (I'm told it may happen in the
next month or so - last time they came back) I'm thinking of nipping
over the fence into the garden and cutting down the sycamore saplings
which spring up all over the place round here, and which are
threatening to overshade my garden completely.

If I cut them down, how do I kill the stump?

I used a stump grinding machine, which reduced a 15" diameter stump to a
pile of wood chips. Fortunately, I had road access, which allowed me to get
a mini-digger mounted one in, but you can hire hand-held versions, which
should be fine for saplings.

Colin Bignell

Lazarus Cooke 05-03-2003 04:38 PM

killing sycamores