Old 04-03-2003, 05:17 PM
Rob Henning

Default Spud planting

I am going to try the Pentland Javelin potato this year,has anyone used this
before,what are they like?what time of the year is best for planting,do they
store well,bugs to look out for,br grateful for any advice

Regards,
Rob.
Surrey area

Old 04-03-2003, 09:54 PM
David Moore

"Rob Henning" wrote in message
I am going to try the Pentland Javelin potato this year,has anyone used

this
before,what are they like?what time of the year is best for planting,do

they
store well,bugs to look out for,br grateful for any advice

Regards,
Rob.
Surrey area

Rob

I've grown them as my main first early potato for the last three years with
great success. Nothing seems to bother them much though other varieties I've
tried suffer with scab or slugs. PJ produce a good crop of reasonable size,
clean potatoes that are pretty good for flavour and versatility.We've kept
them easily until Christmas when we have usually run out and switched to the
later crops.

I'm near Leicester and will be planting early/mid April depending on the
weather - but as usual it will be tempting to get planting as soon as we
have a sunny warm day!

Good luck

David

Old 05-03-2003, 09:12 AM
Liveforthelittlejoys

I grow these every year and find them excellent for taste and cropping. I
plant in late March to avoid too much fussing over late frosts and as they
are earlies they avoid the worst of the blight

"Rob Henning" wrote in message
: I am going to try the Pentland Javelin potato this year,has anyone used
this
: before,what are they like?what time of the year is best for planting,do
they
: store well,bugs to look out for,br grateful for any advice
:
: Regards,
: Rob.
: Surrey area
:
:
:

Spud newbie: planting timetable [email protected] United Kingdom 16 16-02-2006 04:13 PM
Spud seeds! La Puce United Kingdom 7 26-01-2006 10:56 PM
Spud-U-Lite something to plant next year? martin United Kingdom 0 30-05-2004 01:31 PM
spud chitting Anne Middleton/Harold Walker United Kingdom 1 24-02-2003 07:00 PM
spud chitting Anne Middleton/Harold Walker Gardening 1 24-02-2003 09:15 AM