Old 20-06-2005, 09:53 PM
Registered User

Default Holes in Lettuce + Insecticide?

I am new to vegetable gardening and this is the first year I have attempted various vegetables other than tomatoes and courgettes.

I am growing some Little Gem lettuces in troughs in the greenhouse and I have just noticed some tiny holes in the middle of some of the leaves. There are no sign of any pests on the leaves. Does anyone know what causes this? Should I spray with insecticide? Is it a good idea to spray edibile plants and vegetables?

On a different subject should I remove the seed leaves from vegetables once they are established? I have always done so on my tomatoes and courgettes, as they trail in the soil, but should I also do so on cucumbers, basil, lettuce, peppers etc.?

Axel
Old 21-06-2005, 03:03 PM
Stephen Howard

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 20:53:23 +0000, axelbrora
wrote:

I am new to vegetable gardening and this is the first year I have
attempted various vegetables other than tomatoes and courgettes.

I am growing some Little Gem lettuces in troughs in the greenhouse and
I have just noticed some tiny holes in the middle of some of the
leaves. There are no sign of any pests on the leaves. Does anyone
know what causes this? Should I spray with insecticide? Is it a good
idea to spray edibile plants and vegetables?

Those would be slugs, most likely.
You could try scattering some slug pellets around, or you could pop
into the greenhouse after dark with a torch and pick the slugs off by
hand. This will knock the population back considerably.

I wouldn't worry about it too much, they don't eat a lot unless you
allow them to run riot.

On a different subject should I remove the seed leaves from vegetables
once they are established? I have always done so on my tomatoes and
courgettes, as they trail in the soil, but should I also do so on
cucumbers, basil, lettuce, peppers etc.?

I never have, and haven't noticed any problems.

Regards,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk