GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Home made potting compost (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/9639-home-made-potting-compost.html)

John H Wood 06-03-2003 09:24 AM

Home made potting compost

I prefer not to use peat in potting compost and make my own. I stack
turf and weed roots under a plastic cover. The result after a year or
two is a beautiful friable soil. To this I would like to add seaweed
meal and calcified seaweed as fertiliser, but by what amounts?
John
East Devon

Remove "s" from upslyme when replying.

AWM 06-03-2003 10:54 AM

Home made potting compost

"John H Wood" wrote in message
I prefer not to use peat in potting compost and make my own. I stack
turf and weed roots under a plastic cover. The result after a year or
two is a beautiful friable soil. To this I would like to add seaweed
meal and calcified seaweed as fertiliser, but by what amounts?
John
East Devon

Remove "s" from upslyme when replying.

Don't know but farmers used to use lots on the potato fields on the
Ayrshire coast they just dumped it on the soil and ploughed it in, but I
suspect you should was it in fresh water first to reduce the salinity a bit.

John H Wood 06-03-2003 11:54 AM

Home made potting compost

On Thu, 6 Mar 2003 10:54:12 +0000 (UTC), "AWM"
wrote:

Don't know but farmers used to use lots on the potato fields on the
Ayrshire coast they just dumped it on the soil and ploughed it in, but I
suspect you should was it in fresh water first to reduce the salinity a bit.

No what I am talking about is the dried form found in bags in garden
centers.

Pete The Gardener 06-03-2003 09:41 PM

Home made potting compost

On Thu, 06 Mar 2003 09:24:37 GMT,
(John H Wood) wrote:

I prefer not to use peat in potting compost and make my own. I stack
turf and weed roots under a plastic cover. The result after a year or
two is a beautiful friable soil. To this I would like to add seaweed
meal and calcified seaweed as fertiliser, but by what amounts?

Any idea what the NPK are with these? They determine the quantities
that you want, and whether they're suitable in the first place. If you
want to mix your own and remain organic there are several organic
fertilizers available that have fairly set component rates, though
you'll have to blend your own.

--
Pete The Gardener
A room without books is like a body without a soul.

Ken Saunders 07-03-2003 10:32 PM

Home made potting compost

(Pete The Gardener) wrote in message ...
On Thu, 06 Mar 2003 09:24:37 GMT,

(John H Wood) wrote:

I prefer not to use peat in potting compost and make my own. I stack
turf and weed roots under a plastic cover. The result after a year or
two is a beautiful friable soil. To this I would like to add seaweed
meal and calcified seaweed as fertiliser, but by what amounts?

Any idea what the NPK are with these? They determine the quantities
that you want, and whether they're suitable in the first place. If you
want to mix your own and remain organic there are several organic
fertilizers available that have fairly set component rates, though
you'll have to blend your own.

This sounds a brilliant idea.Would it need to be sterilised for
seed growing.I've collected mole hills in the past for fine soil.
......KS

John H Wood 08-03-2003 12:44 AM

Home made potting compost

On Thu, 06 Mar 2003 21:41:32 GMT, (Pete
The Gardener) wrote:

Any idea what the NPK are with these?

No. There's no analysis on the packet. Even if there was I would still
have the problem of knowing what my base material contained. For
unlike coir and peat the soil will have unknown quantities of the
nutrients. I think that it will be down to trial and error. There are
some recipees on the HDRA website and I have already made up one batch
based on them.