Old 06-03-2003, 09:24 AM
John H Wood

Default Home made potting compost

I prefer not to use peat in potting compost and make my own. I stack
turf and weed roots under a plastic cover. The result after a year or
two is a beautiful friable soil. To this I would like to add seaweed
meal and calcified seaweed as fertiliser, but by what amounts?
John
East Devon

Remove "s" from upslyme when replying.
Old 06-03-2003, 10:54 AM
AWM

"John H Wood" wrote in message
I prefer not to use peat in potting compost and make my own. I stack
turf and weed roots under a plastic cover. The result after a year or
two is a beautiful friable soil. To this I would like to add seaweed
meal and calcified seaweed as fertiliser, but by what amounts?
John
East Devon

Remove "s" from upslyme when replying.

Don't know but farmers used to use lots on the potato fields on the
Ayrshire coast they just dumped it on the soil and ploughed it in, but I
suspect you should was it in fresh water first to reduce the salinity a bit.

Old 06-03-2003, 11:54 AM
John H Wood

On Thu, 6 Mar 2003 10:54:12 +0000 (UTC), "AWM"
wrote:

Don't know but farmers used to use lots on the potato fields on the
Ayrshire coast they just dumped it on the soil and ploughed it in, but I
suspect you should was it in fresh water first to reduce the salinity a bit.

No what I am talking about is the dried form found in bags in garden
centers.