GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   care of courgettes (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/96747-care-courgettes.html)

hillier 01-07-2005 10:36 AM

care of courgettes

My first try at growing courgettes has been a great success and they are
cropping very well. I am surprised that I havn't had to worry about
pollination and have not seen anything that looks like a male flower, maybe
just beginners luck. My query is that the thick stems and leaves may be
stopping some fruit forming properly, do they need defoliating at all ?

bigboard 01-07-2005 10:51 AM

hillier wrote:

My first try at growing courgettes has been a great success and they are
cropping very well. I am surprised that I havn't had to worry about
pollination and have not seen anything that looks like a male flower,
maybe just beginners luck. My query is that the thick stems and leaves may
be stopping some fruit forming properly, do they need defoliating at all ?

The male flowers are fairly inconspicuous, so easy to miss. No need to
defoliate, the stems won't cause any problems.

--
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the
subject.

Martin Brown 01-07-2005 12:05 PM

hillier wrote:

My first try at growing courgettes has been a great success and they are
cropping very well. I am surprised that I havn't had to worry about
pollination and have not seen anything that looks like a male flower, maybe
just beginners luck. My query is that the thick stems and leaves may be
stopping some fruit forming properly, do they need defoliating at all ?

More leaves and stems = more fruit. The main problem you face is finding
enough different ways of cooking courgettes not to get bored with them.
I recommend stir fried with a hint of fresh chilli pepper.

Towards the end of the season you can also do marrow & ginger soup.

Regards,
Martin Brown

Harold Walker 01-07-2005 12:30 PM

"Martin Brown" wrote in message
hillier wrote:

My first try at growing courgettes has been a great success and they are
cropping very well. I am surprised that I havn't had to worry about
pollination and have not seen anything that looks like a male flower,
maybe just beginners luck. My query is that the thick stems and leaves
may be stopping some fruit forming properly, do they need defoliating at
all ?

More leaves and stems = more fruit. The main problem you face is finding
enough different ways of cooking courgettes not to get bored with them. I
recommend stir fried with a hint of fresh chilli pepper.

Towards the end of the season you can also do marrow & ginger
soup.//////or you can mash it up....add some water,sugar and yeast and
allow to stand for two to three weeks or so and then decanter....makes a
pleasant drink.........H

Regards,
Martin Brown