Old 01-07-2005, 10:36 AM
hillier

Default care of courgettes

My first try at growing courgettes has been a great success and they are
cropping very well. I am surprised that I havn't had to worry about
pollination and have not seen anything that looks like a male flower, maybe
just beginners luck. My query is that the thick stems and leaves may be
stopping some fruit forming properly, do they need defoliating at all ?

Old 01-07-2005, 10:51 AM
bigboard

hillier wrote:

My first try at growing courgettes has been a great success and they are
cropping very well. I am surprised that I havn't had to worry about
pollination and have not seen anything that looks like a male flower,
maybe just beginners luck. My query is that the thick stems and leaves may
be stopping some fruit forming properly, do they need defoliating at all ?

The male flowers are fairly inconspicuous, so easy to miss. No need to
defoliate, the stems won't cause any problems.

--
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the
subject.

Old 01-07-2005, 12:05 PM
Martin Brown

hillier wrote:

My first try at growing courgettes has been a great success and they are
cropping very well. I am surprised that I havn't had to worry about
pollination and have not seen anything that looks like a male flower, maybe
just beginners luck. My query is that the thick stems and leaves may be
stopping some fruit forming properly, do they need defoliating at all ?

More leaves and stems = more fruit. The main problem you face is finding
enough different ways of cooking courgettes not to get bored with them.
I recommend stir fried with a hint of fresh chilli pepper.

Towards the end of the season you can also do marrow & ginger soup.

Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 01-07-2005, 12:30 PM
Harold Walker

"Martin Brown" wrote in message
hillier wrote:

My first try at growing courgettes has been a great success and they are
cropping very well. I am surprised that I havn't had to worry about
pollination and have not seen anything that looks like a male flower,
maybe just beginners luck. My query is that the thick stems and leaves
may be stopping some fruit forming properly, do they need defoliating at
all ?

More leaves and stems = more fruit. The main problem you face is finding
enough different ways of cooking courgettes not to get bored with them. I
recommend stir fried with a hint of fresh chilli pepper.

Towards the end of the season you can also do marrow & ginger
soup.//////or you can mash it up....add some water,sugar and yeast and
allow to stand for two to three weeks or so and then decanter....makes a
pleasant drink.........H

Regards,
Martin Brown