Old 03-07-2005, 12:47 PM
Jeanne Stockdale

Default French Beans

Something seems to be eating the tops off our french beans.

We do have some problems with rabbits - but they seem more interested in the
flowering plants in the nursery and tend to leave our veg alone. We also
have a number of magpies and jackdaws around - not to mention a couple of
wood pigeons who ate all our pea seed. We have strung CD's around but
someone told us that only works for a couple of weeks then the birds get
wise to them.

Any ideas on who the culprit may be and how can we overcome the problem

Jeanne

Old 03-07-2005, 10:02 PM
Alan Holmes

" Jeanne Stockdale" wrote in message
Something seems to be eating the tops off our french beans.

We do have some problems with rabbits - but they seem more interested in
the flowering plants in the nursery and tend to leave our veg alone. We
also have a number of magpies and jackdaws around - not to mention a
couple of wood pigeons who ate all our pea seed. We have strung CD's
around but someone told us that only works for a couple of weeks then the
birds get wise to them.

Any ideas on who the culprit may be and how can we overcome the problem

For the pigeons, some time ago I read somewhere that red things scare off
pigeons, they were attacking my sprouts, so I dropped some red jar caps
on the ground nearby and the plants are now growing well.

--
Alan

Reply to alan (dot) holmes27 (at) virgin (dot) net

is there any difference between filet, french and pole beans? simy1 Edible Gardening 1 14-07-2004 12:04 PM
french beans hillier United Kingdom 15 29-02-2004 06:46 AM
Climbing French Beans - making a come back WasTa United Kingdom 6 25-09-2003 06:44 PM
Silly question about climbing french beans: swroot United Kingdom 4 24-04-2003 06:56 PM
French Dwarf beans in a pot DP United Kingdom 2 18-04-2003 09:45 AM