GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   squirrels (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/9693-squirrels.html)

paul 07-03-2003 08:55 AM

squirrels

can anyone recomend a good way of stopping squirrels from digging up my
bulbs in the pots on my patio.

Jack 07-03-2003 09:05 AM

squirrels

I read somewhere that putting wire meshing just under the surface of the
soil can help.

. ..

Inge Jones 07-03-2003 09:21 AM

squirrels

In article ,
says...
can anyone recomend a good way of stopping squirrels from digging up my
bulbs in the pots on my patio.

One way I've seen, I think on a gardening TV programme, is to top the
pot with pebbles. Fairly large pebbles, not just gravel.

Dwayne 07-03-2003 12:08 PM

squirrels

You might put up a feeder and give them something they like better than
bulbs (grain/nuts/sunflower seeds). Failing that, they make a very good
soup. (Just joking). Dwayne

"Inge Jones" wrote in message
. ..
In article ,
says...

Nath 07-03-2003 12:20 PM

squirrels

"paul" wrote in message
. ..
can anyone recomend a good way of stopping squirrels from digging up my
bulbs in the pots on my patio.

Haven't you see the ad with the mission impossible music? : )

BAC 07-03-2003 02:58 PM

squirrels

"paul" wrote in message
. ..
can anyone recomend a good way of stopping squirrels from digging up my
bulbs in the pots on my patio.

You could try feeding them with something they prefer (e.g. bird food) while
the bulbs are vulnerable.

Jane Ransom 07-03-2003 03:33 PM

squirrels

In article , Dwayne
writes
You might put up a feeder and give them something they like better than
bulbs

Nah - that just encourages even more of the blighters :(((

--
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.
but if you need to email me for any other reason,

Steve Harris 07-03-2003 04:45 PM

squirrels

In article , (Dwayne)
wrote:

You might put up a feeder and give them something they like better
than bulbs (grain/nuts/sunflower seeds).

I think all you're doing there is increasing the squirrel capacity of
your garden. By the same logic, lots of fertiliser will stop weeds
taking what your plants need.

Failing that, they make a very good soup. (Just joking). Dwayne

Organic too :-)

BAC 07-03-2003 06:44 PM

squirrels

"Steve Harris" wrote in message
In article , (Dwayne)
wrote:

You might put up a feeder and give them something they like better
than bulbs (grain/nuts/sunflower seeds).

I think all you're doing there is increasing the squirrel capacity of
your garden. By the same logic, lots of fertiliser will stop weeds
taking what your plants need.

Provision of a sacrificial crop of something the pest prefers is a time
honoured method of control. It's slightly different to your fertiliser
analogy, because the mere presence of weeds may shade or stifle the 'plant'
and feeding the weeds will usually make matters worse. If the squirrels are
busy eating something they prefer to the bulbs, however, they are leaving
the bulbs alone whilst they develop.

Inge Jones 07-03-2003 07:08 PM

squirrels

In article , says...
You might put up a feeder and give them something they like better than
bulbs (grain/nuts/sunflower seeds).

They're digging up the pot plants in the process of burying things like
that they have already found, as well as trying to recover things they
have already buried. Providing food near the pot plants will simply
increase the likelihood the squirrels will find the pots convenient
burial places.

Natalie 07-03-2003 07:20 PM

squirrels

"paul" wrote in message
. ..
can anyone recomend a good way of stopping squirrels from digging up my
bulbs in the pots on my patio.

At home I have used slate chippings, which seem to work quite well. At the
school I work we have buried chicken wire just below the surface of the
tubs...although they still give it a try!

Good luck.

Natalie

Bevan Price 07-03-2003 10:08 PM

squirrels

"paul" wrote in message
. ..
can anyone recomend a good way of stopping squirrels from digging up my
bulbs in the pots on my patio.

Borrow a cat ? But only if they are grey squirrels. It might frighten the
squirrels even if the cat never catches one. If they are red squirrels,
regard the loss of a few bulbs as helping an endangered species, or try
remedies suggested in other posts.

Bevan

Inge Jones 07-03-2003 11:44 PM

squirrels

In article ,
says...
Borrow a cat ? But only if they are grey squirrels. It might frighten the
squirrels even if the cat never catches one.

At our last house, the resident grey squirrel used to attack our cat,
even when the cat was simply minding its own business washing or
something.

Anne Jackson 08-03-2003 02:44 AM

squirrels

The message
from "paul" contains these words:

can anyone recomend a good way of stopping squirrels from digging up my
bulbs in the pots on my patio.

Grey squirrels are vermin. Shoot them!

--
AnneJ
ICQ #:- 119531282

Natalie 08-03-2003 07:21 AM

squirrels

"Bevan Price" wrote in message

"paul" wrote in message
. ..
can anyone recomend a good way of stopping squirrels from digging up my
bulbs in the pots on my patio.

Borrow a cat ? But only if they are grey squirrels. It might frighten the
squirrels even if the cat never catches one. If they are red squirrels,
regard the loss of a few bulbs as helping an endangered species, or try
remedies suggested in other posts.

We have 3 cats of our own, plus we have several neighbours with cats, and we
still get squirrels digging in our gardens. The slate has stopped them
digging in the vulnerable pots...not the cats!

Natalie