Old 07-03-2003, 08:55 AM
paul

Default squirrels

can anyone recomend a good way of stopping squirrels from digging up my
bulbs in the pots on my patio.

Old 07-03-2003, 09:05 AM
Jack

I read somewhere that putting wire meshing just under the surface of the
soil can help.

. ..

Old 07-03-2003, 12:08 PM
Dwayne

You might put up a feeder and give them something they like better than
bulbs (grain/nuts/sunflower seeds). Failing that, they make a very good
soup. (Just joking). Dwayne

"Inge Jones" wrote in message
. ..
In article ,
says...
can anyone recomend a good way of stopping squirrels from digging up my
bulbs in the pots on my patio.

One way I've seen, I think on a gardening TV programme, is to top the
pot with pebbles. Fairly large pebbles, not just gravel.

Old 07-03-2003, 12:20 PM
Nath

"paul" wrote in message
. ..
can anyone recomend a good way of stopping squirrels from digging up my
bulbs in the pots on my patio.

Haven't you see the ad with the mission impossible music? : )

Old 07-03-2003, 02:58 PM
BAC

"paul" wrote in message
. ..
can anyone recomend a good way of stopping squirrels from digging up my
bulbs in the pots on my patio.

You could try feeding them with something they prefer (e.g. bird food) while
the bulbs are vulnerable.

Old 07-03-2003, 03:33 PM
Jane Ransom

In article , Dwayne
writes
You might put up a feeder and give them something they like better than
bulbs

Nah - that just encourages even more of the blighters ((

--
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.
but if you need to email me for any other reason,

Old 07-03-2003, 07:20 PM
Natalie

"paul" wrote in message
. ..
can anyone recomend a good way of stopping squirrels from digging up my
bulbs in the pots on my patio.

At home I have used slate chippings, which seem to work quite well. At the
school I work we have buried chicken wire just below the surface of the
tubs...although they still give it a try!

Good luck.

Natalie

Old 07-03-2003, 10:08 PM
Bevan Price

"paul" wrote in message
. ..
can anyone recomend a good way of stopping squirrels from digging up my
bulbs in the pots on my patio.

Borrow a cat ? But only if they are grey squirrels. It might frighten the
squirrels even if the cat never catches one. If they are red squirrels,
regard the loss of a few bulbs as helping an endangered species, or try
remedies suggested in other posts.

Bevan

Old 08-03-2003, 02:44 AM
Anne Jackson

The message
from "paul" contains these words:

can anyone recomend a good way of stopping squirrels from digging up my
bulbs in the pots on my patio.

Grey squirrels are vermin. Shoot them!

--
AnneJ
ICQ #:- 119531282

Old 08-03-2003, 07:21 AM
Natalie

"Bevan Price" wrote in message

"paul" wrote in message
. ..
can anyone recomend a good way of stopping squirrels from digging up my
bulbs in the pots on my patio.

Borrow a cat ? But only if they are grey squirrels. It might frighten the
squirrels even if the cat never catches one. If they are red squirrels,
regard the loss of a few bulbs as helping an endangered species, or try
remedies suggested in other posts.

We have 3 cats of our own, plus we have several neighbours with cats, and we
still get squirrels digging in our gardens. The slate has stopped them
digging in the vulnerable pots...not the cats!

Natalie

What to do with grey squirrels - M Ogilvie pro hunt nut and extremist, adviser for SNH suggests we should eat squirrels! [email protected] United Kingdom 15 19-10-2007 01:34 AM
Baby Squirrels, Was: Saw my first robin today :( zhanataya Gardening 2 08-02-2003 08:24 PM
[IBC] Squirrels dalecochoy Bonsai 3 06-02-2003 11:27 AM
[IBC] ***** [IBC] Squirrels Jim Lewis Bonsai 1 29-01-2003 12:19 AM
Squirrels Iris Cohen Bonsai 0 28-01-2003 02:08 PM