GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Sorry to all of you down soutb but .... (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/97022-sorry-all-you-down-soutb-but.html)

Kay 06-07-2005 05:45 PM

Sorry to all of you down soutb but ....

.... it's July and my lawn is waterlogged and there is a stream running
through the far end of the garden.

I've never known a summer as wet as this!
--
Kay

[email protected] 06-07-2005 06:36 PM

Kay wrote:
... it's July and my lawn is waterlogged and there is a stream running
through the far end of the garden.

I've never known a summer as wet as this!

My feeling about this water shortage in the SE is "It serves them right
for building all those houses there"!

Robert 06-07-2005 06:40 PM

"Kay" wrote in message
: ... it's July and my lawn is waterlogged and there is a stream running
: through the far end of the garden.
:
: I've never known a summer as wet as this!
: --
: Kay
: "Do not insult the crocodile until you have crossed the river"

I am in the South West ... Plymouth... and it's so hard to believe people
are short of water. Would they like some of ours?!

Kay 06-07-2005 07:17 PM

In article .com,
writes
Kay wrote:
... it's July and my lawn is waterlogged and there is a stream running
through the far end of the garden.

I've never known a summer as wet as this!

My feeling about this water shortage in the SE is "It serves them right
for building all those houses there"!

Oh, I don't know. I'd far rather they built them there than here!
--
Kay

Martin Sykes 06-07-2005 07:36 PM

wrote in message
oups.com...
Kay wrote:
... it's July and my lawn is waterlogged and there is a stream running
through the far end of the garden.

I've never known a summer as wet as this!

My feeling about this water shortage in the SE is "It serves them right
for building all those houses there"!

Apparently the problem is that they rely more on extracting water from below
ground whereas up north we use resevoirs more. Ours get replenished by
torrential downpours whereas theirs needs prolonged periods of slow rain to
soak in, otherwise it just runs away.

The houses and roads don't help though. I don't understand why new houses
aren't built with underground resevoirs like a big water butt.

--
Martin & Anna Sykes
( Remove x's when replying )

Jaques d'Alltrades 06-07-2005 08:23 PM

The message .com
from contains these words:
Kay wrote:

... it's July and my lawn is waterlogged and there is a stream running
through the far end of the garden.

I've never known a summer as wet as this!

My feeling about this water shortage in the SE is "It serves them right
for building all those houses there"!

I'm in the fairly-south east [0] and my butt runneth over. [1·4¼]

Most of the water from the chilterns, through Hertfordshire, up west
Essex, Suffolk and Norfolk falls in the Chilterns and is conducted that
way by the deep chalk aquefer. The East Anglian Heights are the tail-end
of the Chilterns.

[0] as opposed to the fairly south-east
[1·4¼] thatis, my water-butt.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

Stewart Robert Hinsley 06-07-2005 10:15 PM

In message , Kay
writes
... it's July and my lawn is waterlogged and there is a stream running
through the far end of the garden.

I've never known a summer as wet as this!

What about last summer. My back garden didn't dry off from the August
moonsoon until this May, and the weather wasn't exactly dry in the
preceding months. This summer's been fairly dry except for a couple of
days of thunderstorms, until the recent spell of wet weather.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Kay 06-07-2005 10:50 PM

In article , Stewart Robert Hinsley
writes
In message , Kay
writes
... it's July and my lawn is waterlogged and there is a stream running
through the far end of the garden.

I've never known a summer as wet as this!

What about last summer. My back garden didn't dry off from the August
moonsoon until this May, and the weather wasn't exactly dry in the
preceding months. This summer's been fairly dry except for a couple of
days of thunderstorms, until the recent spell of wet weather.

We've had it wet all year and the reservoirs are fuller than I've seen
them for many years.
--
Kay

Miss Perspicacia Tick 07-07-2005 01:11 AM

Kay wrote:
In article .com,
writes
Kay wrote:
... it's July and my lawn is waterlogged and there is a stream
running through the far end of the garden.

I've never known a summer as wet as this!

My feeling about this water shortage in the SE is "It serves them
right for building all those houses there"!

Oh, I don't know. I'd far rather they built them there than here!

I never had you down as a NIMBY, Kay... I don't want them here either. Worst
of it is, my sister is an architect with one of the most notorious local
developers. He's been had up in court goodness knows how many times for
flagrantly flouting (try saying that fast after a couple of G&Ts!) planning
regs. He's also just applied to build on one of the few remaining areas of
green belt in the county...

Miss Perspicacia Tick 07-07-2005 01:14 AM

Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:
The message .com
from contains these words:
Kay wrote:

... it's July and my lawn is waterlogged and there is a stream
running through the far end of the garden.

I've never known a summer as wet as this!

My feeling about this water shortage in the SE is "It serves them
right for building all those houses there"!

I'm in the fairly-south east [0] and my butt runneth over. [1·4¼]

The state of your bowels is really not a topic for discussion on this forum,
but I would suggest the immediate taking of a dose of Imodium.

Sarah
(who's in one of *those* moods this morning...)

BAC 07-07-2005 09:30 AM

"Martin Sykes" wrote in message

snip

The houses and roads don't help though. I don't understand why new houses
aren't built with underground resevoirs like a big water butt.

Some 'old' houses used to be, e.g. some rural councils installed underground
rainwater cisterns beneath council houses in the 1930s. These became defunct
when the houses were modernised after the second world war. Some private
rural houses were self sufficient in water, too, e.g. I know one which until
the mid 1970s used to have a well to provide drinking water to the kitchen,
and a large tank in the roof space, filled by pumping water up from the
nearby river, providing water for all non-drinking purposes.

If 'mains' water becomes too unreliable or expensive to cope, no doubt your
idea, or something similar, may become necessary again.

[email protected] 07-07-2005 09:35 AM

Martin Sykes wrote:
The houses and roads don't help though. I don't understand why new houses
aren't built with underground resevoirs like a big water butt.

And solar thermal collectors. And wind generators.

And why don't we re-cycle our Grey water for flushing toilets?

Mary Fisher 07-07-2005 10:00 AM

wrote in message
ups.com...
Martin Sykes wrote:
The houses and roads don't help though. I don't understand why new houses
aren't built with underground resevoirs like a big water butt.

And solar thermal collectors. And wind generators.

And why don't we re-cycle our Grey water for flushing toilets?

And underground heat pumps.

Mary

Miss Perspicacia Tick 07-07-2005 11:36 AM

jane wrote:
On Thu, 7 Jul 2005 01:11:46 +0100, "Miss Perspicacia Tick"
wrote:

~Kay wrote:
~ In article .com,
~ writes
~
~ I've never known a summer as wet as this!
~
~ My feeling about this water shortage in the SE is "It serves them
~ right for building all those houses there"!
~
~ Oh, I don't know. I'd far rather they built them there than here!
~
~I never had you down as a NIMBY, Kay... I don't want them here
either. Worst ~of it is, my sister is an architect with one of the
most notorious local ~developers. He's been had up in court goodness
knows how many times for ~flagrantly flouting (try saying that fast
after a couple of G&Ts!) planning ~regs. He's also just applied to
build on one of the few remaining areas of ~green belt in the
county... ~
~
Vale of Pednor by any chance?

I've heard terrible things about how that's going to be ruined soon...

jane

That's it Jane - couldn't remember the name (damned brain fog!)

Sarah

Jaques d'Alltrades 07-07-2005 11:53 AM

The message . com
from contains these words:
Martin Sykes wrote:
The houses and roads don't help though. I don't understand why new houses
aren't built with underground resevoirs like a big water butt.

And solar thermal collectors. And wind generators.

And why don't we re-cycle our Grey water for flushing toilets?

I've just received a 'letter' from a local-ish solar panel/system
installer, pointing out how it will save on CO² emissions.

I wonder if that would be square commanding-officers? An area of carbon
monoxide? Big square company?

I'm toying with the idea of writing to them to ask if their operation is
as good as their advertising...