Old 06-07-2005, 05:45 PM
Kay

Default Sorry to all of you down soutb but ....

.... it's July and my lawn is waterlogged and there is a stream running
through the far end of the garden.

I've never known a summer as wet as this!
--
Kay

Old 06-07-2005, 06:36 PM

Kay wrote:
... it's July and my lawn is waterlogged and there is a stream running
through the far end of the garden.

I've never known a summer as wet as this!

My feeling about this water shortage in the SE is "It serves them right
for building all those houses there"!

Old 06-07-2005, 06:40 PM
Robert

"Kay" wrote in message
: ... it's July and my lawn is waterlogged and there is a stream running
: through the far end of the garden.
:
: I've never known a summer as wet as this!
: --
: Kay
: "Do not insult the crocodile until you have crossed the river"

I am in the South West ... Plymouth... and it's so hard to believe people
are short of water. Would they like some of ours?!

Old 06-07-2005, 07:36 PM
Martin Sykes

wrote in message
oups.com...
Kay wrote:
... it's July and my lawn is waterlogged and there is a stream running
through the far end of the garden.

I've never known a summer as wet as this!

My feeling about this water shortage in the SE is "It serves them right
for building all those houses there"!

Apparently the problem is that they rely more on extracting water from below
ground whereas up north we use resevoirs more. Ours get replenished by
torrential downpours whereas theirs needs prolonged periods of slow rain to
soak in, otherwise it just runs away.

The houses and roads don't help though. I don't understand why new houses
aren't built with underground resevoirs like a big water butt.

--
Martin & Anna Sykes
( Remove x's when replying )

Old 06-07-2005, 10:15 PM
Stewart Robert Hinsley

In message , Kay
writes
... it's July and my lawn is waterlogged and there is a stream running
through the far end of the garden.

I've never known a summer as wet as this!

What about last summer. My back garden didn't dry off from the August
moonsoon until this May, and the weather wasn't exactly dry in the
preceding months. This summer's been fairly dry except for a couple of
days of thunderstorms, until the recent spell of wet weather.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 06-07-2005, 10:50 PM
Kay

In article , Stewart Robert Hinsley
writes
In message , Kay
writes
... it's July and my lawn is waterlogged and there is a stream running
through the far end of the garden.

I've never known a summer as wet as this!

What about last summer. My back garden didn't dry off from the August
moonsoon until this May, and the weather wasn't exactly dry in the
preceding months. This summer's been fairly dry except for a couple of
days of thunderstorms, until the recent spell of wet weather.

We've had it wet all year and the reservoirs are fuller than I've seen
them for many years.
--
Kay

Old 07-07-2005, 09:30 AM
BAC

"Martin Sykes" wrote in message

snip

The houses and roads don't help though. I don't understand why new houses
aren't built with underground resevoirs like a big water butt.

Some 'old' houses used to be, e.g. some rural councils installed underground
rainwater cisterns beneath council houses in the 1930s. These became defunct
when the houses were modernised after the second world war. Some private
rural houses were self sufficient in water, too, e.g. I know one which until
the mid 1970s used to have a well to provide drinking water to the kitchen,
and a large tank in the roof space, filled by pumping water up from the
nearby river, providing water for all non-drinking purposes.

If 'mains' water becomes too unreliable or expensive to cope, no doubt your
idea, or something similar, may become necessary again.

Old 07-07-2005, 09:35 AM

Martin Sykes wrote:
The houses and roads don't help though. I don't understand why new houses
aren't built with underground resevoirs like a big water butt.

And solar thermal collectors. And wind generators.

And why don't we re-cycle our Grey water for flushing toilets?

Old 07-07-2005, 10:00 AM
Mary Fisher

wrote in message
ups.com...
Martin Sykes wrote:
The houses and roads don't help though. I don't understand why new houses
aren't built with underground resevoirs like a big water butt.

And solar thermal collectors. And wind generators.

And why don't we re-cycle our Grey water for flushing toilets?

And underground heat pumps.

Mary