Old 10-07-2005, 05:40 AM
Blair

Default Pruning plum tree

I have been told that I should never prune my plum tree (Victoria plum)
Is that correct?
Blair

Old 10-07-2005, 06:24 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Blair" contains these words:

I have been told that I should never prune my plum tree (Victoria plum)
Is that correct?

It's a good rule to follow, though of course there could be exceptions.

However, the only one I can think of offhand is disease.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 10-07-2005, 08:13 AM
Robert

"Blair" wrote in message
:I have been told that I should never prune my plum tree (Victoria plum)
: Is that correct?
: Blair
:
No that is incorrect as if you have minarette plum trees like me they must
be pruned but when you prune it you MUST prune it in summer

Old 10-07-2005, 08:23 AM
Jupiter

On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 05:40:36 +0100, "Blair"
wrote:

I have been told that I should never prune my plum tree (Victoria plum)
Is that correct?
Blair

Don't prune as a regular activity because it isn't necessary for a
good crop. However, the tree is an untidy grower and you can end up
with branches crossing each other and rubbing together which will
cause damage to the bark. Also, you may have to support branches when
fruiting because they get very heavy and can trail on the ground or
break off. The wood is quite brittle.
Old 10-07-2005, 06:10 PM
Blair

wrote:

I have been told that I should never prune my plum tree (Victoria plum)
Is that correct?
Blair

Don't prune as a regular activity because it isn't necessary for a
good crop. However, the tree is an untidy grower and you can end up
with branches crossing each other and rubbing together which will
cause damage to the bark. Also, you may have to support branches when
fruiting because they get very heavy and can trail on the ground or
break off. The wood is quite brittle.

Thanks all for your help
Blair