GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Please help with ?beetle? ID (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/97219-please-help-beetle-id.html)

Jiri Borsky 10-07-2005 08:38 PM

Please help with ?beetle? ID

Found this cluster on outside tomato plant.

The creatures are about 2mm across, do not appear to move rapidly,
although they have re-grouped duting the day.

They are on a leaf facing the sun and so far there is no apparent damage
to the plant.

http://tinypic.com/70bacg.jpg

Thanks in advance,
Jiri Borsky
(Midlands)

Jaques d'Alltrades 10-07-2005 09:22 PM

The message
from Jiri Borsky contains these words:

Found this cluster on outside tomato plant.

The creatures are about 2mm across, do not appear to move rapidly,
although they have re-grouped duting the day.

They are on a leaf facing the sun and so far there is no apparent damage
to the plant.

It's difficult to make out detail - what sort of creature is it? They
appear to have emerged from the eggs - though they could have ddevoured
the contents...

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

ned 10-07-2005 10:52 PM

"Jiri Borsky" wrote in message
Found this cluster on outside tomato plant.

The creatures are about 2mm across, do not appear to move rapidly,
although they have re-grouped duting the day.

They are on a leaf facing the sun and so far there is no apparent

damage
to the plant.

http://tinypic.com/70bacg.jpg

Thanks in advance,
Jiri Borsky
(Midlands)

Jiri
I suspect that you have a species of shieldbug - though I admit that I
don't know of one that favours tomato plants. It could be that they
normally favour a wild plant close by which has yet to reach maturity.

Have a look at
http://www.bugsandweeds.co.uk/bugs.html#WWShieldBug
I'm sure you can see the similarity.

--
ned

http://www.bugsandweeds.co.uk
last update 09.07.2005

Jiri Borsky 11-07-2005 01:30 AM

ned wrote:

"Jiri Borsky" wrote in message
..
[...]

thank you very much. The similarity verges on absolute. It's them OK.
The tomato location is a puzzle - however, there are raspberries nearby...

Resolute action tomorrow, I think. (They are not protected, are they?)

Jiri Borsky

ned 11-07-2005 02:22 AM

Jiri Borsky wrote:
ned wrote:

"Jiri Borsky" wrote in message
..
Found this cluster on outside tomato plant.

snip

http://tinypic.com/70bacg.jpg

snip

Jiri
I suspect that you have a species of shieldbug

snip

Have a look at
http://www.bugsandweeds.co.uk/bugs.html#WWShieldBug
I'm sure you can see the similarity.

Ned,

thank you very much. The similarity verges on absolute. It's them

OK.
The tomato location is a puzzle - however, there are raspberries
nearby...

Resolute action tomorrow, I think. (They are not protected, are

they?)

Jiri,
Shame on you. :-))
You gardening types are all alike. :-)
No, I doubt that they are on the 'Red List' so you should be able to
spray to your heart's content. Mind you, the ones I found only stayed
by their egg cases for a day before dispersing so they may have bolted
by the time you get to them.

Go on. Be a sport. Rear some to maturity and find out what they really
are.
I'll buy you a pound of tomatoes for the sake of science.
:-))

--
ned

http://www.bugsandweeds.co.uk
last update 09.07.2005

Jiri Borsky 11-07-2005 11:58 AM

ned wrote:

Jiri Borsky wrote:(snip)
Resolute action tomorrow, I think. (They are not protected, are

they?)

Jiri,
Shame on you. :-))
You gardening types are all alike. :-)
No, I doubt that they are on the 'Red List' so you should be able to
spray to your heart's content. Mind you, the ones I found only stayed
by their egg cases for a day before dispersing so they may have bolted
by the time you get to them.

Go on. Be a sport. Rear some to maturity and find out what they really
are.
I'll buy you a pound of tomatoes for the sake of science.
:-))

--
ned

http://www.bugsandweeds.co.uk
last update 09.07.2005

Still there this morning. No sprays in my garden, only fisticuffs,
always.
May spare a pair, after your appeal. ;-)

Jiri