Old 10-07-2005, 08:38 PM
Jiri Borsky

Default Please help with ?beetle? ID

Found this cluster on outside tomato plant.

The creatures are about 2mm across, do not appear to move rapidly,
although they have re-grouped duting the day.

They are on a leaf facing the sun and so far there is no apparent damage
to the plant.

http://tinypic.com/70bacg.jpg

Thanks in advance,
Jiri Borsky
(Midlands)

Old 10-07-2005, 09:22 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Jiri Borsky contains these words:

Found this cluster on outside tomato plant.

The creatures are about 2mm across, do not appear to move rapidly,
although they have re-grouped duting the day.

They are on a leaf facing the sun and so far there is no apparent damage
to the plant.

It's difficult to make out detail - what sort of creature is it? They
appear to have emerged from the eggs - though they could have ddevoured
the contents...

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 10-07-2005, 10:52 PM
ned

"Jiri Borsky" wrote in message
Found this cluster on outside tomato plant.

The creatures are about 2mm across, do not appear to move rapidly,
although they have re-grouped duting the day.

They are on a leaf facing the sun and so far there is no apparent

damage
to the plant.

http://tinypic.com/70bacg.jpg

Thanks in advance,
Jiri Borsky
(Midlands)

Jiri
I suspect that you have a species of shieldbug - though I admit that I
don't know of one that favours tomato plants. It could be that they
normally favour a wild plant close by which has yet to reach maturity.

Have a look at
http://www.bugsandweeds.co.uk/bugs.html#WWShieldBug
I'm sure you can see the similarity.

--
ned

http://www.bugsandweeds.co.uk
last update 09.07.2005

Old 11-07-2005, 01:30 AM
Jiri Borsky

ned wrote:

"Jiri Borsky" wrote in message
..
[...]

Ned,

thank you very much. The similarity verges on absolute. It's them OK.
The tomato location is a puzzle - however, there are raspberries nearby...

Resolute action tomorrow, I think. (They are not protected, are they?)

Jiri Borsky

Old 11-07-2005, 02:22 AM
ned

Jiri Borsky wrote:
ned wrote:

"Jiri Borsky" wrote in message
..
Found this cluster on outside tomato plant.

snip

http://tinypic.com/70bacg.jpg

snip

Jiri
I suspect that you have a species of shieldbug

snip

Have a look at
http://www.bugsandweeds.co.uk/bugs.html#WWShieldBug
I'm sure you can see the similarity.

Ned,

thank you very much. The similarity verges on absolute. It's them

OK.
The tomato location is a puzzle - however, there are raspberries
nearby...

Resolute action tomorrow, I think. (They are not protected, are

they?)

Jiri,
Shame on you. :-))
You gardening types are all alike. :-)
No, I doubt that they are on the 'Red List' so you should be able to
spray to your heart's content. Mind you, the ones I found only stayed
by their egg cases for a day before dispersing so they may have bolted
by the time you get to them.

Go on. Be a sport. Rear some to maturity and find out what they really
are.
I'll buy you a pound of tomatoes for the sake of science.
:-))

--
ned

http://www.bugsandweeds.co.uk
last update 09.07.2005

Old 11-07-2005, 11:58 AM
Jiri Borsky

ned wrote:

Jiri Borsky wrotesnip)
Resolute action tomorrow, I think. (They are not protected, are

they?)

Jiri,
Shame on you. :-))
You gardening types are all alike. :-)
No, I doubt that they are on the 'Red List' so you should be able to
spray to your heart's content. Mind you, the ones I found only stayed
by their egg cases for a day before dispersing so they may have bolted
by the time you get to them.

Go on. Be a sport. Rear some to maturity and find out what they really
are.
I'll buy you a pound of tomatoes for the sake of science.
:-))

--
ned

http://www.bugsandweeds.co.uk
last update 09.07.2005

Still there this morning. No sprays in my garden, only fisticuffs,
always.
May spare a pair, after your appeal. ;-)

Jiri