Old 15-07-2005, 04:00 PM
Jim Lesurf

In article , Jaques
d'Alltrades wrote:
The message from Jim Lesurf
contains these words:

We have had hedgehogs in the back garden in the past, but they seem
to be stopped by quite low barriers. They also preferred under the
bird-feeders. So we now tend to see them under the feeder in the
kitchen garden at the side of the house, but not at the back.

Have you seen a determined hodgeheg? You wouldn't think they'd climb,
but they do.

I'm sure they could climb over low barriers if determined. However the
brickwall between our back and kitchen gardens is about 8-10 feet high, and
the 'gate' is a full-size door that fits quite tightly. (except for at the
bottom, which now has a row of bricks which are only disturbed when I trip
over them. :-)

The walls/fences around the rest of the back garden are 5-10 feet high and
the only break/entrance is the door/gate.

I now have a lovely mental image of families of hedgehogs scaling our brick
walls using ropes and pitons. Then sitting in the pub later, discussing the
climb via the southern route and trying to grade it... :-)

I have now removed the membrane and mulch from the affected area and have
left the soil bare. Will see what happens.

I have emailed someone about stones, but got no reply. With garden supplies
like these I keep getting the impression that no-one actually wants to sell
anything...

When I can find some that are suitable I intend to refit membrane, stapled
down, and then covered in rocks/stones. I've left the ultrasonic 'scarer'
in place to see if a few more days establishes if it has any effect on the
observed rate of cat visits or appearances of 'gifts'...

Slainte,

Jim

Audio Misc http://www.st-and.demon.co.uk/AudioMisc/index.html
Armstrong Audio http://www.st-and.demon.co.uk/Audio/armstrong.html