GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   caerulea montana? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/97387-caerulea-montana.html)

Pam Moore 13-07-2005 11:32 PM

caerulea montana?

Is there such a plant as "Caerulea montana"?
A friend says she has one labelled as such. I feel the name ought to
have a species name first. Caerulea = blue, montana = from the
mountains.
I looked on Google and it came up with an aquilegia. Strangely when I
changed to a UK search there was nothing.
My friend who is a bit vague on such things says it is like a
cornflower with biggish hairy leaves, wide, which end in a point and
come from the base.
Any ideas please?

Pam in Bristol

Sacha 13-07-2005 11:39 PM

On 13/7/05 23:32, in article ,
"Pam Moore" wrote:

Is there such a plant as "Caerulea montana"?
A friend says she has one labelled as such. I feel the name ought to
have a species name first. Caerulea = blue, montana = from the
mountains.
I looked on Google and it came up with an aquilegia. Strangely when I
changed to a UK search there was nothing.
My friend who is a bit vague on such things says it is like a
cornflower with biggish hairy leaves, wide, which end in a point and
come from the base.
Any ideas please?

Try a Google image search on Centaurea montana.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Pam Moore 13-07-2005 11:52 PM

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 23:39:10 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

On 13/7/05 23:32, in article ,
"Pam Moore" wrote:

Is there such a plant as "Caerulea montana"?
A friend says she has one labelled as such. I feel the name ought to
have a species name first. Caerulea = blue, montana = from the
mountains.
I looked on Google and it came up with an aquilegia. Strangely when I
changed to a UK search there was nothing.
My friend who is a bit vague on such things says it is like a
cornflower with biggish hairy leaves, wide, which end in a point and
come from the base.
Any ideas please?

Try a Google image search on Centaurea montana.

Yes Sacha, that was the only thing I could think of. I have it in my
garden but couldn't think of the name! Perhaps she read the label
wrong!
Thanks a lot!

Pam in Bristol

Kay 14-07-2005 08:21 AM

In article , Pam Moore
writes
Is there such a plant as "Caerulea montana"?

A friend says she has one labelled as such. I feel the name ought to
have a species name first. Caerulea = blue, montana = from the
mountains.

You mean a genus name ;-)
The first name is the genus, the second is the species.
There is no law that says a genus name can't be descriptive. Bellis
(beautiful) for example.

I looked on Google and it came up with an aquilegia. Strangely when I
changed to a UK search there was nothing.
My friend who is a bit vague on such things says it is like a
cornflower with biggish hairy leaves, wide, which end in a point and
come from the base.

Centaurea montana.

--
Kay

Pam Moore 14-07-2005 08:42 AM

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 08:21:25 +0100, Kay
wrote:

You mean a genus name ;-)
The first name is the genus, the second is the species.
There is no law that says a genus name can't be descriptive. Bellis
(beautiful) for example.

OK Kay. I stand corrected!

Pam in Bristol

Charlie Pridham 14-07-2005 09:13 AM

wrote:

You mean a genus name ;-)
The first name is the genus, the second is the species.
There is no law that says a genus name can't be descriptive. Bellis
(beautiful) for example.

OK Kay. I stand corrected!

Pam in Bristol

I think I may be missing several replies but is it possible that it is
Centaurea montana?
Description fits and its the sort of mistake hand written labels often throw
up!
--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Sacha 14-07-2005 11:58 AM

wrote:

You mean a genus name ;-)
The first name is the genus, the second is the species.
There is no law that says a genus name can't be descriptive. Bellis
(beautiful) for example.

OK Kay. I stand corrected!

Pam in Bristol

I think I may be missing several replies but is it possible that it is
Centaurea montana?
Description fits and its the sort of mistake hand written labels often throw
up!

It does turn out to be that, Charlie, so I think you're missing some posts,
yes.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Pam Moore 14-07-2005 01:55 PM

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 11:58:28 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

wrote:

You mean a genus name ;-)
The first name is the genus, the second is the species.
There is no law that says a genus name can't be descriptive. Bellis
(beautiful) for example.

OK Kay. I stand corrected!

Pam in Bristol

I think I may be missing several replies but is it possible that it is
Centaurea montana?
Description fits and its the sort of mistake hand written labels often throw
up!

It does turn out to be that, Charlie, so I think you're missing some posts,
yes.

Yes I feel sure it is that, but have yet to confirm it with my friend.
I have not seen the plant in question. I'm curious now to see whether
it is a mistake in labelling or my friend's reading skills!

Pam in Bristol