Old 13-07-2005, 11:32 PM
Pam Moore

Default caerulea montana?

Is there such a plant as "Caerulea montana"?
A friend says she has one labelled as such. I feel the name ought to
have a species name first. Caerulea = blue, montana = from the
mountains.
I looked on Google and it came up with an aquilegia. Strangely when I
changed to a UK search there was nothing.
My friend who is a bit vague on such things says it is like a
cornflower with biggish hairy leaves, wide, which end in a point and
come from the base.
Any ideas please?

Pam in Bristol
Old 14-07-2005, 08:21 AM
Kay

In article , Pam Moore
writes
Is there such a plant as "Caerulea montana"?

A friend says she has one labelled as such. I feel the name ought to
have a species name first. Caerulea = blue, montana = from the
mountains.

You mean a genus name ;-)
The first name is the genus, the second is the species.
There is no law that says a genus name can't be descriptive. Bellis
(beautiful) for example.

I looked on Google and it came up with an aquilegia. Strangely when I
changed to a UK search there was nothing.
My friend who is a bit vague on such things says it is like a
cornflower with biggish hairy leaves, wide, which end in a point and
come from the base.

Centaurea montana.

--
Kay

Old 14-07-2005, 08:42 AM
Pam Moore

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 08:21:25 +0100, Kay
wrote:

You mean a genus name ;-)
The first name is the genus, the second is the species.
There is no law that says a genus name can't be descriptive. Bellis
(beautiful) for example.

OK Kay. I stand corrected!

Pam in Bristol

Old 14-07-2005, 09:13 AM
Charlie Pridham

wrote:

You mean a genus name ;-)
The first name is the genus, the second is the species.
There is no law that says a genus name can't be descriptive. Bellis
(beautiful) for example.

OK Kay. I stand corrected!

Pam in Bristol

I think I may be missing several replies but is it possible that it is
Centaurea montana?
Description fits and its the sort of mistake hand written labels often throw
up!
--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk