GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   propagating valerian from seed? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/97441-propagating-valerian-seed.html)

Chris Nellist 15-07-2005 09:54 AM

propagating valerian from seed?

Hi,

I would like to to propagate my valerian plants from seed,
and have begin to collect some of the seeds with their
little parachutes.

I am collecting ones that have fallen off and stuck to
the rest of the plant, or that come loose with a very light
touch.

What am I supposed to do with them now? :) Store them until
spring, or sow them, or ??

I would be grateful for any help!

Cheers,

Chris

Mike Lyle 15-07-2005 12:04 PM

Chris Nellist wrote:
Hi,

I would like to to propagate my valerian plants from seed,
and have begin to collect some of the seeds with their
little parachutes.

I am collecting ones that have fallen off and stuck to
the rest of the plant, or that come loose with a very light
touch.

What am I supposed to do with them now? :) Store them until
spring, or sow them, or ??

I would be grateful for any help!

Cheers,

Chris

I'd sow half now, and save the other half till spring.

--
Mike.

Clifford 16-07-2005 12:18 PM

Chris,
I have a Valerian plant in my bog garden. The rest of the garden is
very sandy and free draining. This year I have had seedlings appear
everywhere, in plant pots with my bay tree, in the strawberry bed, even
amongst my overwintered perennials in pots.
My treatment would be to sow now expecting to see them germinate next
year after receiving a cold treatment over winter. The RHS book on
propagating plants says sow in spring at 10=B0C

Kate Morgan 16-07-2005 03:44 PM

My Valerian propagates itself very well, no help from me at all. The old
wall at the front of the house is covered in deep pink pale pink and
white Valerian and it looks a picture, when it starts to go over which
is about now I cut the seed heads off and very ofton get a second flush
of flowers. It turns up all over the garden and most people around here
have some somewhere.

kate

Steve Harris 16-07-2005 10:59 PM

In article ,
(Chris Nellist) wrote:

I would like to to propagate my valerian plants from seed,

I suggest doing nothing for now. Next spring, transplant the many
self-sown seedlings to where you want them to be.

A useful bit of gardening software at
http://www.netservs.com/garden/

Chris Hogg 17-07-2005 07:51 AM

On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 14:44:18 GMT, Kate Morgan
wrote:

My Valerian propagates itself very well, no help from me at all. The old
wall at the front of the house is covered in deep pink pale pink and
white Valerian and it looks a picture, when it starts to go over which
is about now I cut the seed heads off and very ofton get a second flush
of flowers. It turns up all over the garden and most people around here
have some somewhere.

Grows wild around here in the poorest of soils. Intermingled are
white, a sort of dirty pink and a reasonable red. But they never seem
to cross-fertilise, i.e. never any intermediate shades. Anyone know
why?

--
Chris

Kay 17-07-2005 09:48 AM

In article .com,
Clifford writes
Chris,
I have a Valerian plant in my bog garden. The rest of the garden is
very sandy and free draining. This year I have had seedlings appear
everywhere, in plant pots with my bay tree, in the strawberry bed, even
amongst my overwintered perennials in pots.

Is Valerian officinalis? I guessed the OP was talking about Centranthus
ruber because he was talking about the fluffy seedheads. I can't
remember what the seeds of Valerian officinalis are like - are they
fluffy too?

--
Kay