Old 15-07-2005, 09:54 AM
Chris Nellist

Default propagating valerian from seed?

Hi,

I would like to to propagate my valerian plants from seed,
and have begin to collect some of the seeds with their
little parachutes.

I am collecting ones that have fallen off and stuck to
the rest of the plant, or that come loose with a very light
touch.

What am I supposed to do with them now? Store them until
spring, or sow them, or ??

I would be grateful for any help!

Cheers,

Chris
Old 15-07-2005, 12:04 PM
Mike Lyle

Chris Nellist wrote:
Hi,

I would like to to propagate my valerian plants from seed,
and have begin to collect some of the seeds with their
little parachutes.

I am collecting ones that have fallen off and stuck to
the rest of the plant, or that come loose with a very light
touch.

What am I supposed to do with them now? Store them until
spring, or sow them, or ??

I would be grateful for any help!

Cheers,

Chris

I'd sow half now, and save the other half till spring.

--
Mike.

Old 16-07-2005, 12:18 PM
Clifford

Chris,
I have a Valerian plant in my bog garden. The rest of the garden is
very sandy and free draining. This year I have had seedlings appear
everywhere, in plant pots with my bay tree, in the strawberry bed, even
amongst my overwintered perennials in pots.
My treatment would be to sow now expecting to see them germinate next
year after receiving a cold treatment over winter. The RHS book on
propagating plants says sow in spring at 10=B0C

Old 16-07-2005, 03:44 PM
Kate Morgan

My Valerian propagates itself very well, no help from me at all. The old
wall at the front of the house is covered in deep pink pale pink and
white Valerian and it looks a picture, when it starts to go over which
is about now I cut the seed heads off and very ofton get a second flush
of flowers. It turns up all over the garden and most people around here
have some somewhere.

kate
Old 17-07-2005, 07:51 AM
Chris Hogg

On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 14:44:18 GMT, Kate Morgan
wrote:

My Valerian propagates itself very well, no help from me at all. The old
wall at the front of the house is covered in deep pink pale pink and
white Valerian and it looks a picture, when it starts to go over which
is about now I cut the seed heads off and very ofton get a second flush
of flowers. It turns up all over the garden and most people around here
have some somewhere.

Grows wild around here in the poorest of soils. Intermingled are
white, a sort of dirty pink and a reasonable red. But they never seem
to cross-fertilise, i.e. never any intermediate shades. Anyone know
why?

--
Chris

Old 17-07-2005, 09:48 AM
Kay

In article .com,
Clifford writes
Chris,
I have a Valerian plant in my bog garden. The rest of the garden is
very sandy and free draining. This year I have had seedlings appear
everywhere, in plant pots with my bay tree, in the strawberry bed, even
amongst my overwintered perennials in pots.

Is Valerian officinalis? I guessed the OP was talking about Centranthus
ruber because he was talking about the fluffy seedheads. I can't
remember what the seeds of Valerian officinalis are like - are they
fluffy too?

--
Kay

red valerian coykiesaol Gardening 1 16-03-2011 12:12 AM
Propagating Echium Pinninana from seed echinosum United Kingdom 17 24-04-2006 11:10 AM
Propagating Fescues? Frank Solis Gardening 1 18-03-2003 10:44 PM
Propagating fig from cutting? DH Edible Gardening 10 04-03-2003 04:15 PM