GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   URG: Problems with uk.rec.gardening (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/98988-urg-re-problems-uk-rec-gardening.html)

Steve Harris 24-07-2005 11:57 AM

URG: Problems with uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
(Martin) wrote:

You are not alone.

Suggestion. Regular posters use a subject line containing "URG:" as I
have done here. NOT a perfect solution but would often help with manual
or automatic filtering?

A useful bit of gardening software at
http://www.netservs.com/garden/

Janet Baraclough 24-07-2005 04:14 PM

The message
from (Steve Harris) contains these words:

Suggestion. Regular posters use a subject line containing "URG:" as I
have done here.

There's nothing to stop trolls and pests doing the same.

Janet

Mike 24-07-2005 05:27 PM

Suggestion. Regular posters use a subject line containing "URG:" as I
have done here.

There's nothing to stop trolls and pests doing the same.

Janet

What a good idea of yours telling them what to do.

:-((

Barrowcloth, engage your brain cell BEFORE posting your stupid ideas.

Dave Milne 24-07-2005 05:33 PM

Hi,

I'm new here, and sadly know little about gardening. I've worked out
what most of the plants in my garden are, but am totally stumped on this one
http://milne.info/greenbank/2005%20F.../DSCN2570.html. Although
I've looked various books up, I can't identify it. The top cluster turned a
bright rape-seed yellow. Can anyone help ?

Dave

ned 24-07-2005 05:37 PM

"Dave Milne" wrote in message
. uk...
Hi,

I'm new here, and sadly know little about gardening. I've worked

out
what most of the plants in my garden are, but am totally stumped on

this one
http://milne.info/greenbank/2005%20F.../DSCN2570.html.

Although
I've looked various books up, I can't identify it. The top cluster

turned a
bright rape-seed yellow. Can anyone help ?

Mullein, with Goats beard on the right.

--
ned

http://www.bugsandweeds.co.uk
last update 12.07.2005

Dave Milne 24-07-2005 05:45 PM

Hurrah. It seems it does well in dry sandy soil, which is definitely NOT
what I have (I live in Scotland).
It is all by itself, no obvious examples in the surrounding gardens either.

Thanks muchly, not knowing was beginning to frustrate me !
Dave

--
Dave Milne, Scotland
'91 Grand Wagoneer, '99 TJ

Nick Maclaren 24-07-2005 05:46 PM

In article ,
Mike wrote:

Suggestion. Regular posters use a subject line containing "URG:" as I
have done here.

There's nothing to stop trolls and pests doing the same.

What a good idea of yours telling them what to do.

:-((

Barrowcloth, engage your brain cell BEFORE posting your stupid ideas.

Monkey see - monkey do. Even trolls are capable of copying the
actions of human beings.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Mike 24-07-2005 06:46 PM

There's nothing to stop trolls and pests doing the same.

What a good idea of yours telling them what to do.

:-((

Barrowcloth, engage your brain cell BEFORE posting your stupid ideas.

Monkey see - monkey do. Even trolls are capable of copying the
actions of human beings.

Couldn't have put it better myself.

As an 'owner' I would have thought that Barrowcloth would have acted with
more responsibility. On second thoughts, maybe not :-((

Jaques d'Alltrades 24-07-2005 10:33 PM

The message
from "Mike" contains these words:

Suggestion. Regular posters use a subject line containing "URG:" as I
have done here.

There's nothing to stop trolls and pests doing the same.

Janet

What a good idea of yours telling them what to do.

:-((

Barrowcloth, engage your brain cell BEFORE posting your stupid ideas.

Oh, you back again, shit-stirring?

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

Jaques d'Alltrades 24-07-2005 10:34 PM

The message
from "Mike" contains these words:

Monkey see - monkey do. Even trolls are capable of copying the
actions of human beings.

Couldn't have put it better myself.

As an 'owner' I would have thought that Barrowcloth would have acted with
more responsibility. On second thoughts, maybe not :-((

Oh, I thought you had taken over the ownership of this group...

Scott L. Hadley 26-07-2005 02:08 AM

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from (Steve Harris) contains these words:

Suggestion. Regular posters use a subject line containing "URG:" as I
have done here.

There's nothing to stop trolls and pests doing the same.

Janet

Hello Janet!

This is one of my periodic checks into usenet groups. Rather discouraging
all 'round, I must say.

How was the spring in Scotland? It was rainer in Maine even than 1983, (my
former standard against which I judged rainy springs) I'm reluctant to
pronouce on the summer yet---

Scott in Maine

Janet Baraclough 26-07-2005 04:37 PM

The message
from "Scott L. Hadley" contains these words:

Hello Janet!

This is one of my periodic checks into usenet groups. Rather discouraging
all 'round, I must say.

Hello yourself. Don't give up. Sooner or later, the weevils will bore
themselves to death and turn into compost.

How was the spring in Scotland? It was rainer in Maine even than 1983, (my
former standard against which I judged rainy springs) I'm reluctant to
pronouce on the summer yet---

Spring? You had Spring? :-)

West Scotland had a mild damp winter almost up until July, which has
been warm sunny and dry. Everything in the garden just sat there
sulking for two months and was very late getting started. I reckon my
beans should fruit round about late August, and the sweetcorn in time
for Christmas. Herbaceous flowering stuff is all looking wonderful
though.

Janet.

John 26-07-2005 06:42 PM

On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 16:37:00 +0100, Janet Baraclough
wrote:

The message
from "Scott L. Hadley" contains these words:

Hello Janet!

This is one of my periodic checks into usenet groups. Rather discouraging
all 'round, I must say.

Hello yourself. Don't give up. Sooner or later, the weevils will bore
themselves to death and turn into compost.

Please shove this boring crap and take your friend and yourself
somewhere the sun don't shine.

Jaques d'Alltrades 26-07-2005 07:37 PM

The message
from Janet Baraclough contains these words:

West Scotland had a mild damp winter almost up until July, which has
been warm sunny and dry. Everything in the garden just sat there
sulking for two months and was very late getting started. I reckon my
beans should fruit round about late August, and the sweetcorn in time
for Christmas. Herbaceous flowering stuff is all looking wonderful
though.

I've had the first beans from mine...

Nick Maclaren 26-07-2005 08:43 PM

In article ,
Janet Baraclough wrote:
The message
from "Scott L. Hadley" contains these words:

This is one of my periodic checks into usenet groups. Rather discouraging
all 'round, I must say.

Hello yourself. Don't give up. Sooner or later, the weevils will bore
themselves to death and turn into compost.

All of them, rather than just their brains? I look forward to that.

How was the spring in Scotland? It was rainer in Maine even than 1983, (my
former standard against which I judged rainy springs) I'm reluctant to
pronouce on the summer yet---

Spring? You had Spring? :-)

Quite :-(

West Scotland had a mild damp winter almost up until July, which has
been warm sunny and dry. Everything in the garden just sat there
sulking for two months and was very late getting started. I reckon my
beans should fruit round about late August, and the sweetcorn in time
for Christmas. Herbaceous flowering stuff is all looking wonderful
though.

Very similar here. My broad beans are a complete disaster. The
earlies didn't set, and the current ones overripened before they
swelled _ I am wondering whether to leave them to ripen properly.
I planted a very late lot, as an experiment, and the weather went
back to winter, so they mostly rotted.

My sweetcorn may be OK, provided that we see the sun again before
2006, which is not looking likely at present.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.