Old 15-05-2008, 05:10 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Ceanothus not flowering

Hi all,

Sadly this evergreen has not yet flowered this year.I don't know if
there is anything wrong with it..

Here's a link if anyone would like to take a look and give us their
opinion.

http://share.ovi.com/channel/twangling.gardening

Thanks,

VJ
Old 15-05-2008, 06:50 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 5/15/2008 9:10 AM, wrote:
Hi all,

Sadly this evergreen has not yet flowered this year.I don't know if
there is anything wrong with it..

Here's a link if anyone would like to take a look and give us their
opinion.

http://share.ovi.com/channel/twangling.gardening

Thanks,

VJ

Where are you? That is, what climate? Ceanothus is hardy only to about
20F and then only if temperatures below freezing are of short duration.

Ceanothus is indeed evergreen, but your photos indicate it is quite
leafless. It also looks as if it were severely pruned. While Ceanothus
can not only be trimmed but even sheared, I don't think it thrives if
pruned back to major limbs. Sunset recommends against cutting any
branch more than 1 inch in diameter.

Sunset also describes Ceanothus as relatively short-lived, surviving
only 5-10 years.

Ceanothus requires very good drainage and only occasional watering. In
its native environment in California, it receives only winter rains and
survives without additional water for several months during rainless
summers. Over-watered, it will not survive even 5 years.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean
Old 20-05-2008, 08:18 AM posted to rec.gardens

On May 15, 6:50*pm, "David E. Ross" wrote:
On 5/15/2008 9:10 AM, wrote:

[...]

Hi David,

Thanks for the reply..we're located in the east of england..we have
had this shrub for over 10 years..this is the first year it has
behaved like this.
Is it dead?

Kind Regards,

VJ
Old 21-05-2008, 09:45 AM posted to rec.gardens

If it makes you feel any better, I live in California and had one die
on me after 5-6 years. They are short lived. I'm on my second one (5
years) and I'm starting to hold my breath.

You can scratch the wood with your fingernail to see if there is still
green inside.
Old 26-05-2008, 05:55 PM posted to rec.gardens

On May 21, 9:45*am, Laura at theGardenPages
wrote:
If it makes you feel any better, I live in California and had one die
on me after 5-6 years. *They are short lived. *I'm on my second one (5
years) and I'm starting to hold my breath.

You can scratch the wood with your fingernail to see if there is still
green inside.

Thanks Laura,i scratched the wood and did not find any green
inside...i'll chop it down in a week or so..

Cheers,

VJ

Old 04-06-2008, 03:41 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 5/15/2008 9:10 AM, wrote:

[...]

Sorry for the delay in replying. We were on vacation for over 2 weeks.

You've had this shrub for over 10 years. Yes, it's likely dead of old
age.

Also, your climate is quite different from the native environment of
Ceanothus. It might have died from too much moisture. It thrives in my
climate, growing wild in the hills near my house. We generally get less
than 20 inches of rain per year, never more than 35 inches in rare wet
years. And the rain falls only between November and April, with no rain
in the summer.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean

[IMG] code is On

Ceanothus problem SteveC United Kingdom 12 09-06-2006 08:59 PM
Ceanothus flowering Sacha United Kingdom 16 13-02-2005 02:54 PM
ceanothus emc United Kingdom 5 15-02-2003 05:06 PM
Ceanothus for hedging? david United Kingdom 6 15-02-2003 03:08 AM
Ceanothus for hedging? Adrian Stanley United Kingdom 3 08-02-2003 10:11 AM