Old 15-05-2008, 06:48 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Problem with Pathos

I have a large Pathos hanging in my home. I've had it for several
years, always in the same place. In fact I've had Pathos plants
hanging in that spot for 20 years. Usually they do very well for 5 or
6 years and then I have to dump them. I think they need to be
repotted but the spot cannot take anything larger.

The one I have now is only a couple of years old. All of a sudden the
leaves are wilting and losing their beautiful green and white colors.
The green is become faded and in general the plant looks sick.

I've taken a close look and do not see anything on or under the leaves
such as ayphids. I also checked for spider mites and can't find
anything. This is the first Pathos I've had where the entire plant is
going at the same time.

What diseases and pests are these plants prone to? It does not need
to be repotted.

Help!

thanks
Old 15-05-2008, 08:48 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Problem with Pothos

On 5/15/2008 10:48 AM, Jane wrote:
[...]

It sounds like you might be either under-watering or over-watering it.
The symptoms are the same for both.

pathos: the quality or power in an actual life experience or in
literature, music, speech, or other forms of expression, of evoking a
feeling of pity or compassion.

pothos: the vine Epipremnum pinnatum, often used as a house plant.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean
Old 16-05-2008, 02:44 PM posted to rec.gardens

On May 15, 5:06 pm, Jangchub wrote:
On Thu, 15 May 2008 12:48:28 -0700, "David E. Ross"

wrote:
It sounds like you might be either under-watering or over-watering it.
The symptoms are the same for both.

pathos: the quality or power in an actual life experience or in
literature, music, speech, or other forms of expression, of evoking a
feeling of pity or compassion.

pothos: the vine Epipremnum pinnatum, often used as a house plant.

In addition, pothos is a climbing vine. Do you have it climbing or is
it hanging? Sometimes positional asphyxia occurs!

Yes, but the thing is I've been growing Pathos for many years. Same
place, same size, same watering habits. I know that the leaves tend
to droop when the plant needs water, and they turn yellow with too
much water. This is the first time the entire plant went from full
and beautiful to skimpy and droopy within a few days. It's definitely
got a problem.
Old 16-05-2008, 11:36 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:
It sounds like you might be either under-watering or over-watering it.
The symptoms are the same for both.
pathos: the quality or power in an actual life experience or in
literature, music, speech, or other forms of expression, of evoking a
feeling of pity or compassion.
pothos: the vine Epipremnum pinnatum, often used as a house plant.

In addition, pothos is a climbing vine. Do you have it climbing or is
it hanging? Sometimes positional asphyxia occurs!

Yes, but the thing is I've been growing Pathos for many years. Same
place, same size, same watering habits. I know that the leaves tend
to droop when the plant needs water, and they turn yellow with too
much water. This is the first time the entire plant went from full
and beautiful to skimpy and droopy within a few days. It's definitely
got a problem.

Well folks, it seems that it is indeed pathos we're dealing with here.
Old 17-05-2008, 12:13 PM posted to rec.gardens

Jangchub wrote in
:

wrote:
[...]

It's not Pathos, it's Pothos and I have no clues why it's
not doing well.

i have pothos in my tortoise cages. same plants have been in
each cage for going on 8 years, neither has been repotted,
although i do sometimes have to take Mortis' plant out for a
'vacation' when he gets to munching on it too badly. Horus &
Sheila's plant has vined around the cage & rooted into the
substrate, because they're smaller & not as voracious eaters
as Mortis.
i water them once/week or when they're very dry. i keep the
substrate in the cages moist & it's quite warm in there as
well (tropical rainforest edge tortoises). i mist the dust off
the leaves when i water the substrate. they do get quite a bit
of light. i have 2 ReptiSun 5.0 bulbs on the cages, one is a
spot lamp for basking.
perhaps the OPs pothos has spider mites, overwatered, not
enough light... or maybe it needs a tortoise companion
lee should get my hatchling veiled chameleon a pothos...
--
Last night while sitting in my chair
I pinged a host that wasn't there

Old 17-05-2008, 02:32 PM posted to rec.gardens

On May 15, 1:48 pm, Jane wrote:
[...]

Sorry about spelling the name wrong. When I searched for "pathos
plant" in Google I got so many hits that I assumed it was correct.

Having said that, I still don't know what the problem with the plant
is. Guess it must be me...........
Old 17-05-2008, 03:09 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
Jane wrote:

Having said that, I still don't know what the problem with the plant
is. Guess it must be me...........

For many years a lab technician we had these words of wisdom.

"When every there is a problem it can usually be traced back to the
loose nut in from of the machine." )

Got any plant folks nearby that you deal with? Ask if they could take a
look. Nothing like another pair of fresh eyes.

Bill who used to run a international newsletter called @Ethos in a
previous life.

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA